The American Mathematical Society (AMS) got its start in 1888 as the New York Mathematical Society, the brainchild of mathematician Thomas Fiske. In 1891, Charlotte Scott became the first woman to join, and in 1894 the society reorganized under its present name, becoming a national group. Julia Robinson became the first female president of the AMS in 1983, and in 1988 the AMS first published the Journal of the American Mathematical Society, as its flagship periodical. Today, some 30,000 individuals and 570 institutions worldwide make up the AMS.
In 2016, Catherine Roberts became the first female to lead the American Mathematical Society.
Read Allyn Jackson's article in Notices
In 2016, Helen Grundman became first Director of Education and Diversity.
November 24, 2013 — In 2013, the AMS celebrated 125 years of advancing mathematics.
The goals of the Fellows Program are:
This Joint Mathematics Meeting was the largest JMM in history. Close to 7200 registered! Were you there?
The inaugural Mathematics Research Communities (MRC) summer conferences,Teichmüller Theory and Low-Dimensional Topology, Scientific Computing and Advanced Computation and Computational Algebra and Convexity, were held at the Snowbird Resort in Utah, June 14-27.
The complete set of Annual Survey reports going back to 1957 can be found on the AMS website for those interested in tracing the history of various issues.
Learn more at MathJobs
The American Mathematical Society completed its two-year project of adding full-text reviews from the early archives of Mathematical Reviews (MR) to the MathSciNet database. During that project, all reviews from 1940-1979 were keyboarded–over 80,000 pages of Mathematical Reviews. The number of searchable reviews from 1940 to the present now on MathSciNet totals nearly 1,400,000. The entire collection contains for the first time online searchable reviews of a major part of mathematics from the past 60 years.
MathSciNet - the online subscription service from the AMS - provides searching of over 55 years of Mathematical Reviews and Current Mathematical Publications. Mathematical Reviews is available from 1940 to the present with full text of reviews available from 1980 to the present.
The first public beta version of MathSciNet, the American Mathematical Society's World Wide Web version of the Mathematical Reviews database, is released for testing. Scheduled for public release on January 1, 1996, MathSciNet delivers unparalleled access to the Mathematical Reviews database by taking full advantage of the Web's hypertext linking capabilities. Access MathSciNet online
The AMS Strategic Planning Task Force concludes that the AMS must have an effective, proactive, and sustaining presence in the national decision-making process – a presence than can best be achieved by physically locating and AMS office and staff in Washington.
On October 15th the AMS introduced e-MATH, its new electronic service for the mathematical profession. Access was available via TELNET . In its first month of operation, more than 1500 accesses were logged.
The AMS began offering electronic pre-registration for meetings by email
In March of 1989, the AMS became the first scientific society to release its database on CD-ROM. Called MathSci Disc, the CD-ROM collection contained all of the reviews from MR 1985 - 1988 and 70,000 Current Mathematical Publications records on one 3.5 inch compact disc.
The editorial office was initially at Brown University in Providence, Rhode Island, but moved to the nearby AMS office in 1951 when the AMS moved from New York to Providence.
Since 1965, the editorial office has been in Ann Arbor, in several different locations, including its present home in a suitably colored orange brick building, built as the Michigan Union Brewery in 1902.
Notices of the American Mathematical Society commenced publication. "The Council of the Society, on October 24, 1953 voted to establish a new periodical called Notices of the American Mathematical Society. In establishing the Notices, the Council have sought to include only material of temporary interest, which should in general be discarded quickly although it can be preserved by those who wish to." Ref: Notices, Issue 1, February 1954. P3. Read The Notices online
Now known as the Employment Center, the Employment Register began in 1953 as just a binder of job openings at academic institutions, industrial firms and government agencies which was passed from meeting to meeting.
Mathematical Reviews commenced publication in January 1940 with Volume 1, Number 1. This issue contained 32 pages and 176 reviews.
Interesting fact: Up until 1942, the Society gave a premium consisting of a microfilm reading machine with an initial three year subscription to MR.
In 1888, Van Amringe was elected as the society's first president. He spent his entire academic career at Columbia College, and was actively involved in his church, served on the boards of the New York Historical Society and St. Luke's Hospital, and frequently attended caucuses of his poitical party in New York City. He was a revered teacher, active alumnus, great orator, and prominent first leader of the AMS.