Committee on Education
- Committee is standing
- Number of members is thirteen to fifteen
- Term is three years beginning 01 February
The members shall consist of three Council members (chosen from the Vice Presidents and Members at Large), a member of the Board of Trustees, the President, the Secretary, an MAA representative, the Chair of the Committee on Science Policy, the AMS Staff Liaison, and 4–6 at large members.
The Executive Director will serve as a non-voting member.
The Chair of the Committee on Education shall sit ex officio on the Committee on Science Policy.
- To serve as the Society's channel for communication to and cooperation with other organizations on matters concerning education. item To provide a forum for the discussion of the full range of mathematics education issues facing the nation, including but not limited to, general mathematics education for K–12, undergraduate and graduate mathematics education and the recruitment of young people and underrepresented groups into the profession.
- To recommend to the leadership of the Society, members of the Society and to the research community as a whole, actions which will make positive contributions to improving mathematics education. To provide information to the President, the Executive Director, the Committee on Science Policy, and the Council, on the educational initiatives of other organizations.
- To organize lectures, panels, and general discussions on education issues at AMS meetings.
- To oversee the administration and the evaluation of proposals for AMS sponsorship of specific education activities.
- To make recommendations on educational matters.
The Council of 12 January 1993, upon recommendation of the Special Committee to Review the Committee Structure, was asked to include the following to the charges of all five policy committees:
- to provide advice to the leadership of the Society and make recommendations as to Society policy,
- to be responsible for taking a long-range view in their areas,
- to conduct an annual high-level review of activities and structure within their areas and evaluate progress toward Society goals,
- to report regularly to the membership, both in writing and by presentations at meetings,
- to maintain communication with the membership and awareness of their views,
- to coordinate with other professional organizations.
The 11 January 1994 Council approved the following resolution:
The Council charges the committees on Education, Meetings and Conferences, Profession, Publication, and Science Policy to carry out at least every six years reviews and appraisals of Society activities in the areas of their charges and to report the results of these reviews to the Executive Committee and to the Council.
The Committee does its work by email, videoconference, and usually one face to face meeting a year. (Expenses for the MAA representative on the committee are covered by the MAA.) This committee has been designated at LEVEL P.
Note to the Chair
Committee chairs should be informed, at the beginning of each fiscal period, of the budget of their committees and cautioned to remain within the budget. Such items as travel reimbursement, accommodations, and meals for guests of any kind fall within these budgets.
For the purpose of archiving the committee activities, the Secretary maintains a central file system for archiving committee records. Committee Chairs are asked to submit committee records on yearly basis. Chairs can submit material at their discretion, and some materials that they may wish to provide are meeting minutes, agenda, and emails. Confidential material should be noted, so that it can be handled in a confidential manner.
- 8/90 Council, item 4.3.1;
- 1/93 Council, item 4.5;
- 1/94 Council, item 3.3.2;
- Updated 2/94; 8/94; 5/95, 8/09; 8/12; 7/12 membership, edited Note to the Chair and Misc Info; 7/22
A list of current and past members is available here: