Frank Nelson Cole Prize Selection Committee
- Committee is standing
- Number of members is usually three
- A new Committee is appointed for each award
There are two awards, the Cole Prize in Algebra and the Cole Prize in Number Theory.
The Cole Prize in Algebra is made every three years at the Annual (January) Meeting in a cycle including the years 2003, 2006, and so forth. The award is made for a notable research work in algebra that has appeared in the last six years. The work must be published in a recognized, peer-reviewed venue.
The Cole Prize in Number Theory is made every three years at the Annual (January) Meeting in a cycle including the years 2002, 2005, 2008, and so forth. The award is made for a notable research work in number theory that has appeared in the last six years. The work must be published in a recognized, peer-reviewed journal.
The committee recommends a winner and communicates this recommendation to the Secretary for approval by the Executive Committee of the Council.
Statement on Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
(as adopted by the April 2019 Council)
The American Mathematical Society is committed to promoting and facilitating equity, diversity and inclusion throughout the mathematical sciences. For its own long-term prosperity as well as that of the public at large, our discipline must connect with and appropriately incorporate all sectors of society. We reaffirm the pledge in the AMS Mission Statement to "advance the status of the profession of mathematics, encouraging and facilitating full participation of all individuals," and urge all members to conduct their professional activities with this goal in mind.
The business of this committee can be done by email or videoconference.
Note to the Chair
For the purpose of archiving the committee activities, the Secretary maintains a central file system for archiving committee records. Committee Chairs are asked to submit committee records on yearly basis. Chairs can submit material at their discretion, and some materials that they may wish to provide are meeting minutes, agenda, and emails. Confidential material should be noted, so that it can be handled in a confidential manner.
- 10/05/89; updated 3/91; 12/92; 3/94; 8/94; 5/95; 5/01, 12/01; 1/03; 8/09; 7/13 edited Note to the Chair; 7/22
- January 03, 2017, Council Minutes, Item 3.1: Clarified the charge to indicate that there are two distinct Cole prizes.
- 09 January 2018, Item 4.6.2: Geographic and membership restrictions were removed, the venue of acceptable publication was broadened and the approval process was more accurately described.
- 24 April 2021 Council, Item 6.8: Added the Statement on Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
A list of past and current members is available at