Award for Impact on the Teaching and Learning of Mathematics Selection Committee
- Committee is standing
- Number of members is four, appointed by the President
- Term is two years
The Committee recommends a winner and communicates this recommendation, along with a citation for the winner, to the Secretary for approval by the Executive Committee of the Council.
Statement on Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
(as adopted by the April 2019 Council)
The American Mathematical Society is committed to promoting and facilitating equity, diversity and inclusion throughout the mathematical sciences. For its own long-term prosperity as well as that of the public at large, our discipline must connect with and appropriately incorporate all sectors of society. We reaffirm the pledge in the AMS Mission Statement to "advance the status of the profession of mathematics, encouraging and facilitating full participation of all individuals," and urge all members to conduct their professional activities with this goal in mind.
This award is given annually to a mathematician (or group of mathematicians) who has made significant contributions of lasting value to mathematics education.
Priorities of the award include recognition of:
- Accomplished mathematicians who have worked directly with pre-college teachers to enhance teachers’ impact on mathematics achievement for all students, or
- Sustainable and replicable contributions by mathematicians to improving the mathematics education of students in the first two years of college.
The business of this committee can be done by email or videoconference.
Note to the Chair
For the purpose of archiving the committee activities, the Secretary maintains a central file system for archiving committee records. Committee Chairs are asked to submit committee records on yearly basis. Chairs can submit material at their discretion, and some materials that they may wish to provide are meeting minutes, agenda, and emails. Confidential material should be noted, so that it can be handled in a confidential manner.
- 22 April 2020 Council Minutes, Item 4.6.2: Committee was created and charge was approved.
- 24 April 2021 Council, Item 6.8: Added the Statement on Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
A list of current and past members is available here: