AMS MAA Committee on Mathematicians with Disabilities
(Dissolved January 2014)
- Committee is standing
- Number of members is six, three from each organization
- Term is three years
The Committee would work to ensure that physical disabilities are not an obstacle to careers in mathematics by:
- promoting mathematics as a career for people with physical disabilities;
- encouraging employers to make the workplace accessible to individuals with disabilities;
- ensuring that mathematical meetings are held at sites that are accessible to people with disabilities;
- requiring that all advertisers and participants in the Employment Register do not discriminate against people with physical disabilities; and
- recommending other actions or policies that can help ensure that individuals with disabilities can participate fully in the mathematical community.
The business of this committee can be done by mail, electronic mail, or telephone, expenses which may be reimbursed by the Society.
Note to the Chair
Committee chairs should be informed, at the beginning of each fiscal period, of the budget of their committees and cautioned to remain within the budget. Such items as travel reimbursement, accommodations, and meals for guests of any kind fall within these budgets.
For the purpose of archiving the committee activities, the Secretary maintains a central file system for archiving committee records. Committee Chairs are asked to submit committee records on yearly basis. Chairs can submit material at their discretion, and some materials that they may wish to provide are meeting minutes, agenda, and emails. Confidential material should be noted, so that it can be handled in a confidential manner.
- The AMS committee was created upon recommendation of the 4/93 CSP. The joint committee was approved by the 4/96 Council.
- created 9/22/93; updated 5/5; 10/96; 3/99; 8/09; 9/13 members, Note to Chair, and Misc Info
- Discharged by 1/14/2014 Council, Item 4.7.1.