Prize Oversight Committee
- Six at large members, appointed by the President, three-year terms.
- Three ex-officio members: Executive Director (non-voting), President and Secretary.
- President appoints the Chair.
- Executive Director to assign staff support (to ensure committee can be effective).
This committee is charged with oversight of prizes, awards, and fellowships. The responsibility for individual prize creation and maintenance issues will remain with the Committee on the Profession (CoProf).
The inaugural charge of this committee shall be to:
- Develop and implement an approach to recruit larger, more diverse pools of nominees. Further, develop data-driven processes to measure success of these efforts.
- Review the Prizes, Awards, Fellowships and Fellows program periodically. In particular, take over from CoProf the responsibility to regularly review, every 3-5 years, the frequency, number and minimal value of existing prizes and awards, and make recommendations for changes or the introduction of new prizes or awards. In addition, undertake a review of the Fellows Program after its initial ten years and periodically thereafter. (All of this was formerly in the purview of CoProf).
- Review and update prize nomination guidelines. Create and recommend templates and forms in order to uniformize and encourage nominations.
- Work with the Development Committee to identify priorities for the establishment of new prizes and awards.
- Recommend policies and procedures for the revocation of an award or fellowship, consistent with best practices of other societies and academic institutions.
- Consider other prize/award-related issues referred to it by Council or CoProf.
The Committee does its work by email and virtual meetings.
Note to the Chair
For the purpose of archiving the committee activities, the Secretary maintains a central file system for archiving committee records. Committee Chairs are asked to submit committee records on yearly basis. Chairs can submit material at their discretion, and some materials that they may wish to provide are meeting minutes, agenda, and emails. Confidential material should be noted, so that it can be handled in a confidential manner.
- April 06, 2019 Council Minutes, Item 5.1, Council created the committee and approved this charge.
- April 2, 2022-Charge updated to indicate that the work of the committee will be done remotely.
A list of current and past members is available here: