David P. Robbins Prize Selection Committee
- Committee is standing
- Number of members is five
- Term is three years
The committee selects the awardee. It should submit its semifinal short list to the Secretary by October 1 of the year prior to the award, for comment by the Executive Committee, based on which the committee then makes the final choice.
The amount of the prize is $5,000 contingent upon receipt and acceptance of the Board of Trustees of the required endowment funds. The prize is awarded every three years for a paper with the following characteristics:
- The paper selected shall report on novel research in algebra, combinatorics or discrete mathematics and shall have a significant experimental component.
- It shall be on a topic which is broadly accessible and shall provide a simple statement of the problem and clear exposition of the work. Papers published within the six calendar years preceding the year in which the prize is awarded are eligible for consideration. The selection committee should include at least one member whose career is primarily in industry or government.
Statement on Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
(as adopted by the April 2019 Council)
The American Mathematical Society is committed to promoting and facilitating equity, diversity and inclusion throughout the mathematical sciences. For its own long-term prosperity as well as that of the public at large, our discipline must connect with and appropriately incorporate all sectors of society. We reaffirm the pledge in the AMS Mission Statement to "advance the status of the profession of mathematics, encouraging and facilitating full participation of all individuals," and urge all members to conduct their professional activities with this goal in mind.
The business of this committee can be done by email or videoconference.
Note to the Chair
For the purpose of archiving the committee activities, the Secretary maintains a central file system for archiving committee records. Committee Chairs are asked to submit committee records on yearly basis. Chairs can submit material at their discretion, and some materials that they may wish to provide are meeting minutes, agenda, and emails. Confidential material should be noted, so that it can be handled in a confidential manner.
- Standing committee appr. Council (May 2005 ECBT, Item 2E.5); est. Council 1/05
- updated 8/09;7/22
- 24 April 2021 Council, Item 6.8: Added the Statement on Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
A list of current and past members is available at: