Young Scholars Awards Selection Committee
- Committee is standing
- Number of members is four – all Presidential appointments.
- Term is three years (July-June terms)
The AMS and its members provide funds to support mathematics programs for talented students at the high school level. The committee considers proposals from such programs and decides which to fund. In present form, it should award grants in the range of $2,500–15,000 per grant, of which at least 50% of each grant is to be earmarked for scholarships for students.
In January of 2013, Council set a minimum award of \$2,500 for mature programs that are excellent and will thus be given AMS endorsement by such an award. The normal award levels should be between \$5,000 and \$15,000 with the \$5,000 level (seed funding) for promising experiments that need our encouragement.
Statement on Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
(as adopted by the April 2019 Council)
The American Mathematical Society is committed to promoting and facilitating equity, diversity and inclusion throughout the mathematical sciences. For its own long-term prosperity as well as that of the public at large, our discipline must connect with and appropriately incorporate all sectors of society. We reaffirm the pledge in the AMS Mission Statement to "advance the status of the profession of mathematics, encouraging and facilitating full participation of all individuals," and urge all members to conduct their professional activities with this goal in mind.
The Committee does its work by email and videoconference.
Established January 1999 Council as the Epsilon Program; changed to Young Scholars Program by the January 2001 Council.
Note to the Chair
For the purpose of archiving the committee activities, the Secretary maintains a central file system for archiving committee records. Committee Chairs are asked to submit committee records on yearly basis. Chairs can submit material at their discretion, and some materials that they may wish to provide are meeting minutes, agenda, and emails. Confidential material should be noted, so that it can be handled in a confidential manner.
- 01/16/1999 Council Minutes, Item 7.2. Council was informed that the Society would formulate a plan to provide support from existing funds for programs aimed at talented mathematics students at the high school level.
- 01/18/2000 Council Minutes, Item 6.5 (See also Attachments G and I) The Council approved the concept of long term support for the Young Scholars Program. Then it endorsed proceeding with the quiet phase of a capital campaign to establish an endowment for that program. (Called the AMS Epsilon Fund)
- 01/09/2001 Council Minutes, Item 3.2 Committee name was changed from Interim Committee on Young Scholars to Young Scholars Awards Committee.
- 04/13/2002 Council Minutes, Item 3.1 The terms were change to begin on July 1, rather than February 1.
- 10/01/2003 Committee was approved as a Level B committee.
- 01/05/2008 Council Minutes, Item 4.6.1 The charge to the committee was updated and clarified.
- 01/08/2013 Council Minutes, Item 4.6.3 Set a minimum award of \$2,500 for mature programs that are excellent and will thus be given AMS endorsement by such an award. The normal award levels should be between \$5,000 and \$15,000 with the \$5,000 level (seed funding) for promising experiments that need our encouragement.
- 06/20/2016 [11/07/2004 Committee Annual Report, no. 041107-008] Level B designation removed.
- 04/24/2021 Council Minutes, Item 6.8 Added the Statement on Equity, Diversity and Inclusion.
A list of current and past members is available at: