AMS Associate Secretaries organize resources and meetings in order to help the mathematical community thrive. They take pleasure in arranging circumstances to help the success of many people. The AMS strives to serve mathematicians of all disciplines in an inclusive, equitable, and welcoming fashion. Candidates that share in this approach are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please submit applications through MathPrograms.org. Applications received by July 1, 2023 will be assured full consideration.
The American Mathematical Society is seeking applications and nominations of candidates for the post of Associate Secretary of the Eastern Section.
The Council will appoint the Associate Secretary to a two-year term, beginning on February 1, 2025 and ending on January 31, 2027. Reappointments are possible and desirable. All necessary expenses incurred by an Associate Secretary in performance of duties for the Society are reimbursed, including travel and communications. Each Associate Secretary may request additional financial support for their work. The nature of this support is flexible and can change year to year. It could be, for example, in the form of release time, administrative support, or a stipend.
The AMS strives to serve all mathematicians in an inclusive, equitable, and welcoming fashion. We welcome applications from mathematicians having experience with and/or enthusiasm for organizing scientific meetings.
We are seeking a diverse pool of candidates with strong mathematical research experience, broad mathematical interests, and a commitment to serving, growing, and showcasing a diverse community. Candidates should reside within or near to the section they wish to serve.
AMS Associate Secretaries play key roles in creating the scientific programs of AMS meetings, as well as providing essential input to several AMS committees.
- Each is responsible for two sectional meetings per year in their respective geographic section. This includes overall responsibility for the scientific program, as well as the responsibility of arranging host institutions and guiding local organizers.
- Once every four years an Associate Secretary has primary responsibility for the scientific program at the January Joint Mathematics Meetings.
- The AMS conducts an active international joint meeting program, and Associate Secretaries are involved in these meetings on a rotating basis.
- Associate Secretaries are supported by, and work closely with, the AMS Department of Meetings and Conferences.
- An Associate Secretary is an officer of the Society, a member of the AMS Council, and a member of the Secretariat – a committee consisting of the four Associate Secretaries and the Secretary, which has considerable responsibility and authority in the direction of the AMS meetings program.
APPLICATIONS & NOMINATIONS
Associate Secretaries are appointed by the Council upon recommendation by the Executive Committee and Board of Trustees.
To nominate someone or to ask questions please email the search committee.
Please submit your application — including a brief CV and names of three references — through MathPrograms.org. Applications received by July 1, 2023 will be assured full consideration.