Higher Homotopy Structures in Topology and Mathematical Physics
About this Title
John McCleary, Editor
Publication: Contemporary Mathematics
Publication Year : Volume 227
ISBNs: 978-0-8218-0913-6 (print); 978-0-8218-7818-7 (online)
MathSciNet review: 1665455
Since the work of Stasheff and Sugawara in the 1960s on recognition of loop space structures on $H$-spaces, the notion of higher homotopies has grown to be a fundamental organizing principle in homotopy theory, differential graded homological algebra and even mathematical physics. This book presents the proceedings from a conference held on the occasion of Stasheff's 60th birthday at Vassar in June 1996. It offers a collection of very high quality papers and includes some fundamental essays on topics that open new areas.
Accessible to a broad audience interested in mathematics and physics.
Offers a comprehensive overview of Stasheff's work.
Contains papers on very current research topics, including operads, combinatorial polyhedra, and moduli spaces.
Graduate students and research mathematicians working in topology, homological algebra and mathematical physics; physicists.
Table of Contents
- John McCleary – An appreciation of the work of Jim Stasheff [MR 1665456]
- Martin Arkowitz and Hans Scheerer – The cohomology flat product and the Berstein algebra of a co--space [MR 1665457]
- J. C. Becker and D. H. Gottlieb – Spaces of local vector fields [MR 1665458]
- Tibor Beke – Operads from the viewpoint of categorical algebra [MR 1665459]
- Clemens Berger – Double loop spaces, braided monoidal categories and algebraic -type of space [MR 1665460]
- L. A. Dickey – Poisson brackets with divergence terms in field theories: three examples [MR 1665461]
- Leonid Friedlander and Albert Schwarz – Grassmannian and elliptic operators [MR 1665462]
- Murray Gerstenhaber and Clarence W. Wilkerson – On the deformation of rings and algebras. V. Deformation of differential graded algebras [MR 1665463]
- Kathryn Hess – Perturbation and transfer of generic algebraic structure [MR 1665464]
- Johannes Huebschmann – Extensions of Lie-Rinehart algebras and the Chern-Weil construction [MR 1665465]
- I. M. James and W. Singhof – On the category of fibre bundles, Lie groups, and Frobenius maps [MR 1665466]
- Mikhail M. Kapranov and Masahico Saito – Hidden Stasheff polytopes in algebraic -theory and in the space of Morse functions [MR 1665467]
- Tom Lada – Commutators of structures [MR 1665468]
- Martin Markl – Simplex, associahedron, and cyclohedron [MR 1665469]
- Frank Neumann, Mara D. Neusel and Larry Smith – Rings of generalized and stable invariants and classifying spaces of compact Lie groups [MR 1665470]
- Duane Randall – Block bundle origin of stable block bundle homotopy [MR 1665471]
- José A. Armario, Pedro Real and Beatriz Silva – On -minimal homological models of twisted tensor products of elementary complexes localised over a prime [MR 1665472]
- Alexander A. Voronov – Stability of the rational homotopy type of moduli spaces [MR 1665473]