Geometry and Topology in Dynamics
About this Title
Marcy Barge and Krystyna Kuperberg, Editors
This volume consists of the written presentations of lectures given at two special sessions: the AMS Special Session on Topology in Dynamics (Winston-Salem, NC) and the AMS-AWM Special Session on Geometry in Dynamics (San Antonio, TX). Each article concerns aspects of the topology or geometry of dynamical systems. Topics covered include the following: foliations and laminations, iterated function systems, the three-body problem, isotopy stability, homoclinic tangles, fractal dimension, Morse homology, knotted orbits, inverse limits, contact structures, Grassmanians, blowups, and continua.
New results are presented reflecting current trends in topological aspects of dynamical systems. The book offers a wide variety of topics of special interest to those working this area bridging topology and dynamical systems.
Graduate students and research mathematicians interested in analysis; physicists.Graduate students and research mathematicians interested in analysis; physicists.
Table of Contents
- Marcy Barge, James Jacklitch and Gioia Vago – Homeomorphisms of one-dimensional inverse limits with applications to substitution tilings, unstable manifolds, and tent maps [MR 1732368]
- Philip Boyland – Isotopy stability of dynamics on surfaces [MR 1732369]
- Henk Bruin – Homeomorphic restrictions of unimodal maps [MR 1732370]
- Alex Clark – Flows on solenoids are generically not almost periodic [MR 1732371]
- Pieter Collins – Dynamics forced by surface trellises [MR 1732372]
- P. Duvall and J. Keesling – The Hausdorff dimension of the boundary of the Lévy dragon [MR 1732373]
- John B. Etnyre and Robert W. Ghrist – Stratified integrals and unknots in inviscid flows [MR 1732374]
- Viktor L. Ginzburg and Ely Kerman – Periodic orbits in magnetic fields in dimensions greater than two [MR 1732375]
- Pawel Hanus and Mariusz Urbański – A new class of positive recurrent functions [MR 1732376]
- Alejandro Illanes, Sergio Macías and Sam B. Nadler, Jr. – Symmetric products and $Q$-manifolds [MR 1732377]
- Samuel R. Kaplan – Symbolic dynamics of the collinear three-body problem [MR 1732378]
- Alex Kasman – Grassmannians, nonlinear wave equations and generalized Schur functions [MR 1732379]
- J. E. Keesling and C. Krishnamurthi – The similarity boundary of a self-similar set [MR 1732380]
- Piotr Minc – Homotopy classes of maps between Knaster continua [MR 1732381]
- Matthias Schwarz – Equivalences for Morse homology [MR 1732382]
- Carl R. Seaquist – More monotone open homogeneous locally connected plane continua [MR 1732383]
- C. W. Stark – Blowup and fixed points [MR 1732384]