Nonlinear PDE’s, Dynamics and Continuum Physics
About this Title
Jerry Bona, Katarzyna Saxton and Ralph Saxton, Editors
This volume contains the refereed proceedings of the conference on Nonlinear Partial Differential Equations, Dynamics and Continuum Physics which was held at Mount Holyoke College in Massachusetts, from July 19th to July 23rd, 1998. Models examined derive from a wide range of applications, including elasticity, thermoviscoelasticity, granular media, fluid dynamics, gas dynamics and conservation laws. Mathematical topics include existence theory and stability/instability of traveling waves, asymptotic behavior of solutions to nonlinear wave equations, effects of dissipation, mechanisms of blow-up, well-posedness and regularity, and fractal solutions.
The text will be of interest to graduate students and researchers working in nonlinear partial differential equations and applied mathematics.
Graduate students and researchers interested in partial differential equations and applied mathematics.
Table of Contents
- Hongqiu Chen – Travelling-waves for generalized KDV-Burgers equations [MR 1752498]
- S. Roy Choudhury – Some analytical coherent structures of the long-wave equations [MR 1752499]
- Włodzimierz Domański – Weakly nonlinear elastic plane waves in a cubic crystal [MR 1752500]
- Michael L. Frankel and Victor Roytburd – On dynamics of exothermic interfaces [MR 1752501]
- Pierre-Alain Gremaud, John V. Matthews and Michael Shearer – Similarity solutions for granular flows in hoppers [MR 1752502]
- Thomas Hagen and Michael Renardy – Stability issues in nonisothermal elongational flow [MR 1752503]
- Ling Hsiao and Ronghua Pan – The damped $p$-system with boundary effects [MR 1752504]
- Barbara Lee Keyfitz and Claudia A. Mora – Prototypes for nonstrict hyperbolicity in conservation laws [MR 1752505]
- Satyanad Kichenassamy – Stability of blow-up patterns for nonlinear wave equations [MR 1752506]
- M. Kovalyov – Slowly decaying solutions of KdV [MR 1752507]
- Igor Rodnianski – Fractal solutions of the Schrödinger equation [MR 1752508]
- Jalal Shatah and Walter Strauss – Spectral condition for instability [MR 1752509]
- Alexander Tovbis – On approximation of stable and unstable manifolds and the Stokes phenomenon [MR 1752510]
- Stephen J. Watson – A priori bounds in one-dimensional nonlinear thermoviscoelasticity [MR 1752511]
- Robin Young – Periodic solutions to conservation laws [MR 1752512]