Council for African American Researchers in the Mathematical Sciences: Volume IV
About this Title
Gaston M. N’Guérékata and Asamoah Nkwanta, Editors
This volume contains selected papers from the Sixth Conference for African American Researchers in the Mathematical Sciences (CAARMS), held at Morgan State University in Baltimore (MD). The CAARMS organizes this annual conference showcasing the current research primarily, but not exclusively, of African Americans in the mathematical sciences. Since the first conference in 1995, significant numbers of researchers have presented their current work in technical talks, and graduate students have presented their work in organized poster sessions.
Research topics include mathematics (number theory, analysis, topology, differential equations, algebra, combinatorics, etc.), mathematical physics, mathematical biology, operations research, probability and statistics, and computer science. In addition to the invited talks, tutorials and group discussions on various topics are organized to stimulate, nurture, and encourage increased participation by African Americans and other underrepresented groups in the mathematical sciences. These events create an ideal forum for mentoring and networking where attendees can meet researchers and graduate students who are interested in the same fields.
For volumes based on previous CAARMS proceedings, see African Americans in Mathematics, Volume 34, in the AMS Series, DIMACS, Series in Discrete Mathematics and Theoretical Computer Science, African Americans in Mathematics II, Volume 252, and Council for African American Researchers in the Mathematical Sciences: Volume III, Volume 275, in the AMS series, Contemporary Mathematics.
Table of Contents
- Kathryn M. Lewis – Hyponormality and a family of Toeplitz operators on the Bergman space [MR 1855526]
- Edray Goins – A ternary algebra with applications to binary quadratic forms [MR 1855527]
- I. Assani – Spectral characterization of ergodic dynamical systems [MR 1855528]
- Carlos Castillo-Chavez and Abdul-Aziz Yakubu – Epidemics on attractors [MR 1855529]
- Kimberly Flagg Sellers – A definition of vague coherent systems [MR 1855530]
- Monica Christine Jackson – Spatial data analysis for discrete data on a lattice [MR 1855531]
- C. R. Handy – New perspectives in moment-wavelet analysis from quantum operator theory: scalets and local quantization [MR 1855532]
- Johnny L. Houston – Numbers that count—persons who impact, mathematically! [MR 1855533]