Combinatorial and Geometric Group Theory
About this Title
Sean Cleary, Robert Gilman, Alexei G. Myasnikov and Vladimir Shpilrain, Editors
This volume grew out of two AMS conferences held at Columbia University (New York, NY) and the Stevens Institute of Technology (Hoboken, NJ) and presents articles on a wide variety of topics in group theory.
Readers will find a variety of contributions, including a collection of over 170 open problems in combinatorial group theory, three excellent survey papers (on boundaries of hyperbolic groups, on fixed points of free group automorphisms, and on groups of automorphisms of compact Riemann surfaces), and several original research papers that represent the diversity of current trends in combinatorial and geometric group theory.
The book is an excellent reference source for graduate students and research mathematicians interested in various aspects of group theory.
Graduate students and research mathematicians interested in combinatorial and geometric group theory.
Table of Contents
- Gilbert Baumslag, Alexei G. Myasnikov and Vladimir Shpilrain – Open problems in combinatorial group theory. Second edition [MR 1921705]
- Ilya Kapovich and Nadia Benakli – Boundaries of hyperbolic groups [MR 1921706]
- Patrick Dehornoy – Thin groups of fractions [MR 1921707]
- Anthony M. Gaglione, Dennis Spellman and Benjamin Fine – Every abelian group universally equivalent to a discriminating group is elementarily equivalent to a discriminating group [MR 1921708]
- S. V. Ivanov – Weakly finitely presented infinite periodic groups [MR 1921709]
- Bilal Khan – Positively generated subgroups of free groups and the Hanna Neumann conjecture [MR 1921710]
- Andy R. Magid – On the proalgebraic completion of a finitely generated group [MR 1921711]
- Alexei D. Myasnikov, Alexei G. Myasnikov and Vladimir Shpilrain – On the Andrews-Curtis equivalence [MR 1921712]
- Charles F. Rocca, Jr. and Edward C. Turner – Test ranks of finitely generated abelian groups [MR 1922274]
- Gerhard Rosenberger and Martin Scheer – Classification of the finite generalized tetrahedron groups [MR 1922275]
- E. Ventura – Fixed subgroups in free groups: a survey [MR 1922276]
- Anthony Weaver – Automorphisms of surfaces [MR 1922277]