Waves in Periodic and Random Media
About this Title
Peter Kuchment, Editor
Science and engineering have been great sources of problems and inspiration for generations of mathematicians. This is probably true now more than ever as numerous challenges in science and technology are met by mathematicians. One of these challenges is understanding propagation of waves of different nature in systems of complex structure.
This book contains the proceedings of the research conference, “Waves in Periodic and Random Media”. Papers are devoted to a number of related themes, including spectral theory of periodic differential operators, Anderson localization and spectral theory of random operators, photonic crystals, waveguide theory, mesoscopic systems, and designer random surfaces. Contributions are written by prominent experts and are of interest to researchers and graduate students in mathematical physics.
Graduate students and research mathematicians interested in mathematical physics and partial differential equations.
Table of Contents
- J. M. Combes, B. Gralak and A. Tip – Spectral properties of absorptive photonic crystals [MR 2042527]
- Jean-Michel Combes, Peter D. Hislop and Frédéric Klopp – Regularity properties for the density of states of random Schrödinger operators [MR 2042528]
- Pavel Exner – Spectral properties of Schrödinger operators with a strongly attractive $\delta $ interaction supported by a surface [MR 2042529]
- Leonid Friedlander – Absolute continuity of the spectra of periodic waveguides [MR 2042530]
- François Germinet and Abel Klein – The Anderson metal-insulator transport transition [MR 2042531]
- S. E. Golowich and M. I. Weinstein – Theory and computation of scattering resonances of photonic microstructures [MR 2042532]
- Yu. Karpeshina – Asymptotic formulas for eigenvalues and eigenfunctions of periodic magnetic Schrödinger operators [MR 2042533]
- Peter Kuchment and BengSeong Ong – On guided waves in photonic crystal waveguides [MR 2042534]
- Tamara A. Leskova, Alexei A. Maradudin, Eugenio R. Méndez and Javier Muñoz-Lopez – The design and photofabrication of random achromatic optical diffusers for uniform illumination [MR 2042535]
- Boris Pavlov and Kieran Robert – Resonance optical switch: calculation of resonance eigenvalues [MR 2042536]
- Alexander V. Sobolev – High energy asymptotics of the density of states for certain periodic pseudo-differential operators in dimension one [MR 2042537]
- T. A. Suslina – On discrete spectrum in the gaps of a two-dimensional periodic elliptic operator perturbed by a decaying potential [MR 2042538]
- V. V. Yurinsky – On the principal eigenvalue of the Schrödinger operator with a scaled random potential [MR 2042539]