Operator Algebras, Quantization, and Noncommutative Geometry: A Centennial Celebration Honoring John von Neumann and Marshall H. Stone
About this Title
Robert S. Doran and Richard V. Kadison, Editors
Publication: Contemporary Mathematics
Publication Year : Volume 365
ISBNs: 978-0-8218-3402-2 (print); 978-0-8218-7955-9 (online)
MathSciNet review: 2106812
John von Neumann and Marshall Stone were two giants of Twentieth Century mathematics. In honor of the 100th anniversary of their births, a mathematical celebration was organized featuring developments in fields where both men were major influences.
This volume contains articles from the AMS Special Session, Operator Algebras, Quantization and Noncommutative Geometry: A Centennial Celebration in Honor of John von Neumann and Marshall H. Stone. Papers range from expository and historical surveys to original research articles. All articles were carefully refereed and cover a broad range of mathematical topics reflecting the fundamental ideas of von Neumann and Stone.
Most contributions are expanded versions of the talks and were written exclusively for this volume. Included, among others, are articles by George W. Mackey, Nigel Higson, and Marc Rieffel. Also featured is a reprint of P.R. Halmos's The Legend of John von Neumann.
The book is suitable for graduate students and researchers interested in operator algebras and applications, including noncommutative geometry.
Graduate students and research mathematicians interested in operator algebras and applications, including noncommutative geometry.
Table of Contents
- P. R. Halmos – The legend of John von Neumann [MR 2106813]
- George W. Mackey – Marshall H. Stone: mathematician, statesman, advisor, and friend [MR 2106814]
- William Arveson – The universal -dynamical system [MR 2106815]
- Paul Baum – On the index of equivariant elliptic operators [MR 2106816]
- Bruce Blackadar – The algebraization of dynamics: amenability, nuclearity, quasidiagonality, and approximate finite dimensionality [MR 2106817]
- David P. Blecher – Multipliers, -modules, and algebraic structure in spaces of Hilbert space operators [MR 2106818]
- Nigel Higson – Meromorphic continuation of zeta functions associated to elliptic operators [MR 2106819]
- Richard V. Kadison – Non-commutative conditional expectations and their applications [MR 2106820]
- Yoshikazu Katayama and Masamichi Takesaki – Outer actions of a discrete amenable group on approximately finite dimensional factors. I. General theory [MR 2106821]
- Paul S. Muhly and Baruch Solel – On the curvature of a completely positive map [MR 2106822]
- Judith A. Packer – Applications of the work of Stone and von Neumann to wavelets [MR 2106823]
- Robert T. Powers – Addition of spatial -semigroups [MR 2106824]
- Geoffrey L. Price – On shifts of minimal index on the hyperfinite factor [MR 2106825]
- Marc A. Rieffel – Compact quantum metric spaces [MR 2106826]
- Jonathan Rosenberg – A selective history of the Stone-von Neumann theorem [MR 2106827]
- Marius Junge and Zhong-Jin Ruan – Decomposable maps on non-commutative -spaces [MR 2106828]
- Allan M. Sinclair and Roger R. Smith – A survey of Hochschild cohomology for von Neumann algebras [MR 2106829]
- Dana P. Williams – From the Stone-von Neumann theorem to the equivariant Brauer group and beyond [MR 2106830]