About this Title
Timothy Y. Chow and Daniel C. Isaksen, Editors
Publication: Contemporary Mathematics
Publication Year : Volume 479
ISBNs: 978-0-8218-4345-1 (print); 978-0-8218-8158-3 (online)
MathSciNet review: 2513529
This volume contains the proceedings of a conference held in July, 2007 at the University of Minnesota, Duluth, in honor of Joseph A. Gallian's 65th birthday and the 30th anniversary of the Duluth Research Experience for Undergraduates.
In keeping with Gallian's extraordinary expository ability and broad mathematical interests, the articles in this volume span a wide variety of mathematical topics, including algebraic topology, combinatorics, design theory, forcing, game theory, geometry, graph theory, group theory, optimization, and probability.
Some of the papers are purely expository while others are research articles. The papers are intended to be accessible to a general mathematics audience, including first-year or second-year graduate students. This volume should be especially useful for mathematicians seeking a new research area, as well as those looking to enrich themselves and their research programs by learning about problems and techniques used in other areas of mathematics.
Graduate students and research mathematicians interested in algebra, discrete mathematics, geometry, or probability.
Table of Contents
- Sarah Spence Adams – A journey of discovery: orthogonal matrices and wireless communications [MR 2513353]
- John Beam – Probabilistic expectations on unstructured spaces [MR 2513354]
- Timothy Y. Chow – A beginner's guide to forcing [MR 2513355]
- Elena Constantin – Higher order necessary conditions in smooth constrained optimization [MR 2513356]
- Douglas Dunham – Hamiltonian paths and hyperbolic patterns [MR 2513357]
- Joel S. Foisy and Lewis D. Ludwig – When graph theory meets knot theory [MR 2513358]
- Jane Friedman and Cameron Parker – Can an asymmetric power structure always be achieved? [MR 2513359]
- Stephen G. Hartke and A. J. Radcliffe – McKay's canonical graph labeling algorithm [MR 2513360]
- Patricia Hersh and Robert Kleinberg – A multiplicative deformation of the Möbius function for the poset of partitions of a multiset [MR 2513361]
- Aparna Higgins – Communicating, mathematics, communicating mathematics—Joe Gallian style [MR 2513442]
- David Housman – Fair allocation methods for coalition games [MR 2513443]
- Daniel C. Isaksen – Sums-of-squares formulas [MR 2513444]
- Kiran S. Kedlaya – Product-free subsets of groups, then and now [MR 2513445]
- Kiran S. Kedlaya and Xuancheng Shao – Generalizations of product-free subsets [MR 2513446]
- Dave Witte Morris – What is a superrigid subgroup? [MR 2513447]
- David Petrie Moulton – Averaging points two at a time [MR 2513448]
- Manish M. Patnaik – Vertex algebras as twisted bialgebras: on a theorem of Borcherds [MR 2513449]