Recent Trends in Orthogonal Polynomials and Approximation Theory
About this Volume
Edited by: Jorge Arvesú, Francisco Marcellán and Andrei Martínez-Finkelshtein
2010: Volume: 507
ISBNs: 978-0-8218-4803-6 (print); 978-0-8218-8186-6 (online)
This volume contains invited lectures and selected contributions from the International Workshop on Orthogonal Polynomials and Approximation Theory, held at Universidad Carlos III de Madrid on September 8–12, 2008, and which honored Guillermo López Lagomasino on his 60th birthday.
This book presents the state of the art in the theory of Orthogonal Polynomials and Rational Approximation with a special emphasis on their applications in random matrices, integrable systems, and numerical quadrature. New results and methods are presented in the papers as well as a careful choice of open problems, which can foster interest in research in these mathematical areas. This volume also includes a brief account of the scientific contributions by Guillermo López Lagomasino.
Graduate students and research mathematicians interested in orthogonal polynomials, approximation theory, and their applications.
Table of Contents
- Francisco Marcellán and Andrei Martínez-Finkelshtein – Guillermo López Lagomasino: mathematical life
- Bernardo de la Calle Ysern – A walk through approximation theory
- Laurent Baratchart and Maxim Yattselev – Asymptotic uniqueness of best rational approximants to complex Cauchy transforms in $L^2$ of the circle
- L. Garza and F. Marcellán – Quadrature rules on the unit circle. A survey
- A. Ibort, P. Linares and J. G. Llavona – On the multilinear trigonometric problem of moments
- Arno B. J. Kuijlaars – Multiple orthogonal polynomial ensembles
- Eli Levin and Doron S. Lubinsky – Some equivalent formulations of universality limits in the bulk
- A. López García – Greedy energy points with external fields
- Andrei Martínez-Finkelshtein and Evgenii A. Rakhmanov – On asymptotic behavior of Heine-Stieltjes and Van Vleck polynomials
- E. B. Saff – Remarks on relative asymptotics for general orthogonal polynomials
- Barry Simon – Fine structure of the zeros of orthogonal polynomials: a progress report
- Herbert Stahl – A potential-theoretic problem connected with complex orthogonality
- Walter Van Assche – Orthogonal polynomials and approximation theory: some open problems