Character Theory of Finite Groups
About this Title
Mark L. Lewis, Gabriel Navarro, Donald S. Passman and Thomas R. Wolf, Editors
This volume contains a collection of papers from the Conference on Character Theory of Finite Groups, held at the Universitat de València, Spain, on June 3–5, 2009, in honor of I. Martin Isaacs.
The topics include permutation groups, character theory, $p$-groups, and group rings. The research articles feature new results on large normal abelian subgroups of $p$-groups, construction of certain wreath products, computing idempotents in group algebras of finite groups, and using dual pairs to study representations of cross characteristic in classical groups. The expository articles present results on vertex subgroups, measuring theorems in permutation groups, the development of super character theory, and open problems in character theory.
Graduate students and research mathematicians interested in finite groups.
Table of Contents
- V. A. Belonogov – On character tables and abstract structure of finite groups [MR 2731913]
- Nigel Boston – Large transitive groups with many elements having fixed points [MR 2731914]
- James P. Cossey – Vertex subgroups and vertex pairs in solvable groups [MR 2731915]
- Persi Diaconis – Threads through group theory [MR 2731916]
- Stephen M. Gagola, Jr. – Tate’s theorem, and other oddities, via transfer [MR 2731917]
- George Glauberman – A $p$-group with no normal large abelian subgroup [MR 2731918]
- Avi Goren and Marcel Herzog – General measuring arguments for finite permutation groups [MR 2731919]
- Robert M. Guralnick – Commutators and wreath products [MR 2731920]
- Thomas Michael Keller – Gaps in character degrees for groups with many conjugacy classes [MR 2731921]
- Avinoam Mann – The number of subgroups of metacyclic groups [MR 2731922]
- Gabriel Navarro – Problems in character theory [MR 2731923]
- Tetsuro Okuyama and Tomoyuki Wada – Eigenvalues of Cartan matrices of blocks in finite groups [MR 2731924]
- D. S. Passman – Character theory and group rings [MR 2731925]
- Geoffrey R. Robinson – Lifting theorems and applications to group algebras [MR 2731926]
- Michael C. Slattery – Character degrees of normally monomial maximal class 5-groups [MR 2731927]
- Pham Huu Tiep – Dual pairs of finite classical groups in cross characteristics [MR 2731928]