Geometry and Topology Down Under
About this Title
Craig D. Hodgson, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria, Australia, William H. Jaco, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK, Martin G. Scharlemann, University of California, Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara, CA and Stephan Tillmann, University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW, Australia, Editors
Publication: Contemporary Mathematics
Publication Year 2013: Volume 597
ISBNs: 978-0-8218-8480-5 (print); 978-1-4704-1025-4 (online)
This book contains the proceedings of the conference Geometry & Topology Down Under, held July 11–22, 2011, at the University of Melbourne, Parkville, Australia, in honour of Hyam Rubinstein.
The main topic of the book is low-dimensional geometry and topology. It includes both survey articles based on courses presented at the conferences and research articles devoted to important questions in low-dimensional geometry. Together, these contributions show how methods from different fields of mathematics contribute to the study of 3-manifolds and Gromov hyperbolic groups. It also contains a list of favorite problems by Hyam Rubinstein.
Graduate students and researchers interested in low-dimensional geometry and topology.
Table of Contents
- Joel Hass – What is an Almost Normal Surface?
- Danny Calegari – The Ergodic Theory of Hyperbolic Groups
- Sungbok Hong and Darryl McCullough – Mapping Class Groups of -Manifolds, Then and Now
- B. H. Bowditch – Stacks of Hyperbolic Spaces and Ends of 3-Manifolds
- Emma Carberry – Harmonic Maps and Integrable Systems
- Hyam Rubinstein – Some of Hyam's Favourite Problems
- David Bachman, Ryan Derby-Talbot and Eric Sedgwick – Almost Normal Surfaces with Boundary
- Benjamin A. Burton – Computational Topology with Regina: Algorithms, Heuristics and Implementations
- Adam Clay and Masakazu Teragaito – Left-Orderability and Exceptional Dehn Surgery on Two-Bridge Knots
- Arnaud Deruelle, Mario Eudave-Muñoz, Katura Miyazaki and Kimihiko Motegi – Networking Seifert Surgeries on Knots IV: Seiferters and Branched Coverings
- Stefan Friedl – Commensurability of Knots and –Invariants
- Jonathan A. Hillman – The Groups of Fibred 2-Knots
- Craig Hodgson and Hidetoshi Masai – On the Number of Hyperbolic -Manifolds of a Given Volume
- Kazuhiro Ichihara and In Dae Jong – Seifert Fibered Surgery and Rasmussen Invariant
- Feng Luo – Existence of Spherical Angle Structures on 3-Manifolds
- J. Hyam Rubinstein and Abigail Thompson – 3-Manifolds with Heegaard Splittings of Distance Two
- Martin Scharlemann – Generating the Genus Goeritz Group of a Genus Handlebody