Women in Numbers 2: Research Directions in Number Theory
About this Title
Chantal David, Concordia University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Matilde Lalín, University of Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada and Michelle Manes, University of Hawaii, Honolulu, HI, Editors
Publication: Contemporary Mathematics
Publication Year: 2013; Volume 606
ISBNs: 978-1-4704-1022-3 (print); 978-1-4704-1440-5 (online)
The second Women in Numbers workshop (WIN2) was held November 6–11, 2011, at the Banff International Research Station (BIRS) in Banff, Alberta, Canada. During the workshop, group leaders presented open problems in various areas of number theory, and working groups tackled those problems in collaborations begun at the workshop and continuing long after.
This volume collects articles written by participants of WIN2. Survey papers written by project leaders are designed to introduce areas of active research in number theory to advanced graduate students and recent PhDs. Original research articles by the project groups detail their work on the open problems tackled during and after WIN2. Other articles in this volume contain new research on related topics by women number theorists.
The articles collected here encompass a wide range of topics in number theory including Galois representations, the Tamagawa number conjecture, arithmetic intersection formulas, Mahler measures, Newton polygons, the Dwork family, elliptic curves, cryptography, and supercongruences.
WIN2 and this Proceedings volume are part of the Women in Numbers network, aimed at increasing the visibility of women researchers' contributions to number theory and at increasing the participation of women mathematicians in number theory and related fields.
Graduate students and research mathematicians interested in number theory.
Table of Contents
Download chapters as PDF
- Jennifer Johnson-Leung – The Local Equivariant Tamagawa Number Conjecture for Almost Abelian Extensions
- Rachel Davis – Images of Metabelian Galois Representations Associated to Elliptic Curves
- Rebecca Bellovin, Sharon Anne Garthwaite, Ekin Ozman, Rachel Pries, Cassandra Williams and Hui June Zhu – Newton Polygons for a Variant of the Kloosterman Family
- Jacqueline Anderson, Jennifer S. Balakrishnan, Kristin Lauter, Jennifer Park and Bianca Viray – Comparing Arithmetic Intersection Formulas for Denominators of Igusa Class Polynomials
- Adriana Salerno – An Algorithmic Approach to the Dwork Family
- Alice Silverberg – Ranks “Cheat Sheet”
- Alice Silverberg – Fully Homomorphic Encryption for Mathematicians
- Marie-José Bertin and Matilde Lalín – Mahler Measure of Multivariable Polynomials
- Marie-José Bertin, Amy Feaver, Jenny Fuselier, Matilde Lalín and Michelle Manes – Mahler Measure of Some Singular $K3$-surfaces
- Shabnam Akhtari, Chantal David, Heekyoung Hahn and Lola Thompson – Distribution of Squarefree Values of Sequences Associated with Elliptic Curves
- Sarah Chisholm, Alyson Deines and Holly Swisher – Recent Advances for Ramanujan Type Supercongruences