A Panorama of Mathematics: Pure and Applied
About this Title
Carlos M. da Fonseca, Kuwait University, Safat, Kuwait, Dinh Van Huynh, Ohio University, Athens, OH, Steve Kirkland, University of Manitoba, Winnepeg, MB, Canada and Vu Kim Tuan, University of West Georgia, Carrollton, GA, Editors
Publication: Contemporary Mathematics
Publication Year: 2016; Volume 658
ISBNs: 978-1-4704-1668-3 (print); 978-1-4704-2902-7 (online)
This volume contains the proceedings of the Conference on Mathematics and its Applications–2014, held from November 14–17, 2014, at Kuwait University, Safat, Kuwait.
Papers contained in this volume cover various topics in pure and applied mathematics ranging from an introductory study of quotients and homomorphisms of C-systems, also known as contextual pre-categories, to the most important consequences of the so-called Fokas method.
Also covered are multidisciplinary topics such as new structural and spectral matricial results, acousto-electromagnetic tomography method, a recent hybrid imaging technique, some numerical aspects of sonic-boom minimization, PDE eigenvalue problems, von Neumann entropy in graph theory, the relative entropy method for hyperbolic systems, conductances on grids, inverse problems in magnetohydrodynamics, location and size estimation of small rigid bodies using elastic far-fields, and the space-time fractional Schrödinger equation, just to cite a few.
Graduate students and research mathematicians interested in pure and applied math, inverse problems, medical imaging, and sonic boom.
Table of Contents
Download chapters as PDF
- Amin Boumenir – An inverse problem in magnetohydrodynamics
- Reinhardt Euler, Luis H. Gallardo and Olivier Rahavandrainy – Combinatorial properties of circulant Hadamard matrices
- Aurel Bejancu – A new point of view on higher dimensional Kaluza-Klein theories
- Fadhel Al-Musallam, Durga Prasad Challa and Mourad Sini – Location and size estimation of small rigid bodies using elastic far-fields
- Luca Gemignani – Zerofinding of analytic functions by structured matrix methods
- Giovanni S. Alberti, Habib Ammari and Kaixi Ruan – Multi-frequency acousto-electromagnetic tomography
- Saleh Baqer and Lyubomir Boyadjiev – On the space-time fractional Schrödinger equation with time independent potentials
- Jared L. Aurentz, Thomas Mach, Raf Vandebril and David S. Watkins – A note on companion pencils
- Tatiana Klimchuk, Dmitry Kovalenko, Tetiana Rybalkina and Vladimir V. Sergeichuk – Tame systems of linear and semilinear mappings and representation-tame biquivers
- Mohammad Adm and Jürgen Garloff – Invariance of total positivity of a matrix under entry-wise perturbation and completion problems
- Vladimir Voevodsky – Subsystems and regular quotients of C-systems
- Andrzej Cegielski – Landweber-type operator and its properties
- C. Araúz, Á. Carmona, A. M. Encinas and M. Mitjana – Recovering the conductances on grids: A theoretical justification
- Athanassios S. Fokas – The unified transform in two dimensions
- Wen-Fong Ke, Hubert Kiechle, Günter Pilz and Gerhard Wendt – Semi-homogeneous maps
- C. Conrads, V. Mehrmann and A. Międlar – Adaptive numerical solution of eigenvalue problems arising from finite element models. AMLS vs. AFEM
- Niel de Beaudrap, Vittorio Giovannetti, Simone Severini and Richard Wilson – Interpreting the von Neumann entropy of graph Laplacians, and coentropic graphs
- Denis Serre and Alexis F. Vasseur – About the relative entropy method for hyperbolic systems of conservation laws
- Christian Grossmann – Smoothing techniques for exact penalty methods
- Navid Allahverdi, Alejandro Pozo and Enrique Zuazua – Numerical aspects of sonic-boom minimization