Recent Advances in Partial Differential Equations, Venice 1996
About this Title
Renato Spigler, University of Padova, Padova, Italy and Stephanos Venakides, Duke University, Durham, NC, Editors
Publication: Proceedings of Symposia in Applied Mathematics
Publication Year: 1998; Volume 54
ISBNs: 978-0-8218-0657-9 (print); 978-0-8218-9269-5 (online)
Lax and Nirenberg are two of the most distinguished mathematicians of our times. Their work on partial differential equations (PDEs) over the last half-century has dramatically advanced the subject and has profoundly influenced the course of mathematics. A huge part of the development in PDEs during this period has either been through their work, motivated by it or achieved by their postdocs and students.
A large number of mathematicians honored these two exceptional scientists in a week-long conference in Venice (June 1996) on the occasion of their 70th birthdays.
This volume contains the proceedings of the conference, which focused on the modern theory of nonlinear PDEs and their applications. Among the topics treated are turbulence, kinetic models of a rarefied gas, vortex filaments, dispersive waves, singular limits and blow-up of solutions, conservation laws, Hamiltonian systems, and others. The conference served as a forum for the dissemination of new scientific ideas and discoveries and enhanced scientific communication by bringing together such a large number of scientists working in related fields. The event allowed the international mathematics community to honor two of its outstanding members.
Graduate students and research mathematicians interested in ordinary differential equations.
Table of Contents
- G. I. Barenblatt and Alexandre J. Chorin – Scaling laws and vanishing viscosity limits in turbulence theory [MR 1492690]
- Piermarco Cannarsa and Giuseppe Da Prato – Potential theory in Hilbert spaces [MR 1492691]
- Carlo Cercignani – Recent developments in the theory of the Boltzmann equation [MR 1492692]
- P. Deift, T. Kriecherbauer and K. T-R McLaughlin – New results for the asymptotics of orthogonal polynomials and related problems via the Lax-Levermore method [MR 1492693]
- Albert Fannjiang, Leonid Ryzhik and George Papanicolaou – Evolution of trajectory correlations in steady random flows [MR 1492694]
- A. S. Fokas – Integrability: from d’Alembert to Lax [MR 1492695]
- Giovanni Gallavotti – Methods in the theory of quasi-periodic motions [MR 1492696]
- Sergiu Klainerman – Fourier analysis and nonlinear wave equations [MR 1492697]
- C. David Levermore – The KdV zero-dispersion limit and densities of Dirichlet spectra [MR 1492698]
- Pierre-Louis Lions – On Boltzmann equation and its applications [MR 1492699]
- Andrew J. Majda – Simplified asymptotic equations for slender vortex filaments [MR 1492700]
- David W. McLaughlin and Jalal Shatah – Homoclinic orbits for PDE’s [MR 1492701]
- Umberto Mosco – Lagrangian metrics on fractals [MR 1492702]
- Eitan Tadmor – Approximate solutions of nonlinear conservation laws and related equations [MR 1492703]
- S. Venakides – The small dispersion KdV equation with decaying initial data [MR 1492704]