Low-dimensional and Symplectic Topology
About this Title
Michael Usher, University of Georgia, Athens, GA, Editor
Publication: Proceedings of Symposia in Pure Mathematics
Publication Year 2011: Volume 82
ISBNs: 978-0-8218-5235-4 (print); 978-0-8218-9390-6 (online)
Every eight years since 1961, the University of Georgia has hosted a major international topology conference aimed at disseminating important recent results and bringing together researchers at different stages of their careers.
This volume contains the proceedings of the 2009 conference, which includes survey and research articles concerning such areas as knot theory, contact and symplectic topology, 3-manifold theory, geometric group theory, and equivariant topology. Among other highlights of the volume, a survey article by Stefan Friedl and Stefano Vidussi provides an accessible treatment of their important proof of Taubes' conjecture on symplectic structures on the product of a 3-manifold and a circle, and an intriguing short article by Dennis Sullivan opens the door to the use of modern algebraic-topological techniques in the study of finite-dimensional models of famously difficult problems in fluid dynamics.
Continuing what has become a tradition, this volume contains a report on a problem session held at the conference, discussing a variety of open problems in geometric topology.
Graduate students and research mathematicians interested in geometric topology, including knot theory, contact and symplectic topology, 3-manifolds, and geometric group theory.
Table of Contents
- Dennis Sullivan – Algebra, topology and algebraic topology of 3D ideal fluids [MR 2768649]
- Ruth Charney and Karen Vogtmann – Subgroups and quotients of automorphism groups of RAAGs [MR 2768650]
- Maciej Borodzik – Abelian -invariants of iterated torus knots [MR 2768651]
- Liam Watson – A surgical perspective on quasi-alternating links [MR 2768652]
- Yi Ni – Thurston norm and cosmetic surgeries [MR 2768653]
- Tolga Etgü and Burak Ozbagci – On the relative Giroux correspondence [MR 2768654]
- John A. Baldwin and John B. Etnyre – A note on the support norm of a contact structure [MR 2768655]
- Stefan Hainz and Ursula Hamenstädt – Topological properties of Reeb orbits on boundaries of star-shaped domains in [MR 2768656]
- Stefan Friedl and Stefano Vidussi – Twisted Alexander polynomials and fibered 3-manifolds [MR 2768657]
- Dusa McDuff – Displacing Lagrangian toric fibers via probes [MR 2768658]
- Haibo Yang – Equivariant Bredon cohomology and Čech hypercohomology [MR 2768659]
- Saul Schleimer – Sphere recognition lies in NP [MR 2768660]