| | AMS/IP Studies in Advanced Mathematics
1997; 1077 pp; hardcover
ISBN-13: 978-0-8218-0652-4 List Price: US$132
Member Price: US$105.60
Order Code: AMSIP/2
This is a two-part volume reflecting the proceedings of the 1993 Georgia International Topology Conference held at the University of Georgia during the month of August. The texts include research and expository articles and problem sets. The conference covered a wide variety of topics in geometric topology.
- Kirby's problem list, which contains a thorough description of the progress made on each of the problems and includes a very complete bibliography, makes the work useful for specialists and non-specialists who want to learn about the progress made in many areas of topology. This list may serve as a reference work for decades to come.
- Gabai's problem list, which focuses on foliations and laminations of 3-manifolds, collects for the first time in one paper definitions, results, and problems that may serve as a defining source in the subject area.
Titles in this series are co-published with International Press of Boston, Inc., Cambridge, MA.
Graduate students, research mathematicians, and physicists interested in manifolds and cell complexes.
"This is an extremely useful piece of work and the whole community can be very grateful that Kirby has taken on such an enormous task."
-- Mathematical Reviews, Review of Part 2
Table of Contents Part 1
- J. H. Rubinstein -- Polyhedral minimal surfaces, Heegaard splittings and decision problems for 3-dimensional manifolds
- D. Auckly -- Surgery numbers of 3-manifolds: a hyperbolic example
- M. Eudave-Muñoz -- Non-hyperbolic manifolds obtained by Dehn surgery on hyperbolic knots
- S. Boyer and X. Zhang -- Cyclic surgery and boundary slopes
- J. Luecke and Y.-Q. Wu -- Relative Euler number and finite covers of graph manifolds
- M. Ouyang -- Geometric invariants for 3-manifolds
- N. Habegger -- Link homotopy in simply connected 3-manifolds
- D. Gabai and W. H. Kazez -- Homotopy, isotopy, and genuine laminations of 3-manifolds
- D. Bar-Natan -- Non-associative tangles
- X.-S. Lin -- Power series expansions and invariants of links
- G. Masbaum -- Introduction to spin TQFT
- J. Roberts -- Refined state-sum invariants of 3- and 4-manifolds
- D. Auckly and L. Sadun -- A family of Möbius invariant 2-knot energies
- H. U. Boden -- Invariants of fibred knots from moduli
- L. C. Jeffrey -- Symplectic forms on moduli spaces of flat connections on 2-manifolds
- A. L. Edmonds -- Automorphisms of the \(E_8\) four-manifold
- P. Teichner -- On the star-construction for topological 4-manifolds
- Y. Eliashberg and L. Polterovich -- The problem of Lagrangian knots in four-manifolds
- F. Lalonde -- Energy and capacities in symplectic topology
- W. R. Lickorish -- Piecewise linear manifolds and Cerf theory
- G. A. Venema -- Local homotopy properties of topological embeddings in codimension two
- S. Weinberger -- \(SL(n, \mathbb Z)\) cannot act on small tori
- K. Fukaya -- Morse homotopy and its quantization
- F. D. Ancel, M. W. Davis, and C. R. Guilbault -- CAT(0) reflection manifolds
- D. Randall -- On oriented bundle theories and applications
- J.-C. Hausmann -- On minimal coverings in the sense of Lusternik-Schnirelmann for spaces and manifolds
- K. Yoshikawa -- The centers of fibered two-knot groups
- M. Yan -- Equivariant periodicity in surgery for actions of some non-abelian groups
- S. Weinberger -- Microsurgery on stratified spaces
- J. Block and S. Weinberger -- Large scale homology theories and geometry
- R. B. Kusner and J. M. Sullivan -- Möbius energies for knots and links, surfaces and submanifolds
- D. Gabai -- Problems in foliations and laminations
- R. Kirby -- Problems in low-dimensional topology