| | Conference Proceedings, Canadian Mathematical Society
1997; 412 pp; softcover
ISBN-13: 978-0-8218-0668-5 List Price: US$101
Member Price: US$80.80
Order Code: CMSAMS/20
This volume is the hardcopy version of the electronic manuscript, "Proceedings of the Organic Mathematics Workshop" held at Simon Fraser University in December 1995. The book provides a fixed, easily referenced, and permanent version of what is otherwise an evolving document.
Contained in this work is a collection of articles on experimental and computational mathematics contributed by leading mathematicians around the world. The papers span a variety of mathematical fields--from juggling to differential equations to prime number theory. The book also contains biographies and photos of the contributing mathematicians and an in-depth characterization of organic mathematics.
Titles in this series are copublished with the Canadian Mathematical Society. Members of the Canadian Mathematical Society may order at the AMS member price.
Graduate students and research mathematicians interested in experimental and computational mathematics.
Table of Contents
- J. M. Borwein, P. B. Borwein, R. M. Corless, L. Jörgenson, and N. Sinclair -- What is organic mathematics?
- G. E. Andrews -- Pfaff's method (III): Comparison with the WZ method
- D. H. Bailey, J. M. Borwein, and P. B. Borwein -- Ramanujan, modular equations, and approximations to pi or how to compute one billion digits of pi
- D. H. Bailey and S. Plouffe -- Recognizing numerical constants
- J. M. Borwein and F. G. Garvan -- Approximations to \(\pi\) via the Dedekind eta function
- D. W. Boyd -- The beta expansion for Salem numbers
- J. Buhler, D. Eisenbud, R. Graham, and C. Wright -- Juggling drops and descents
- A. M. Cohen and D. B. Wales -- \(GL(4)\)-orbits in a 16-dimensional module for characteristic 3
- K. Belabas and H. Cohen -- Binary cubic forms and cubic number fields
- R. M. Corless -- Continued fractions and chaos
- P. J. Forrester and A. M. Odlyzko -- A nonlinear equation and its application to nearest neighbor spacings for zeros of the zeta function and eigenvalues of random matrices
- A. Granville -- Arithmetic properties of binomial coefficients I: Binomial coefficients modulo prime powers
- J. H. Hubbard, J. M. McDill, A. Noonburg, and B. H. West -- A new look at the airy equation with fences and funnels
- J. C. Lagarias -- The \(3x+1\) problem and its generalizations
- C. W. H. Lam -- The search for a finite projective plane of order 10
- S. Wagon -- New visualization ideas for differential equations
- Selected images from the Proceedings
- S. P. Braham -- Internet, executable content, and the future of mathematical science communication
- W. Haga and S. Robins -- On Kruskal's principle