Essential closed surfaces in bounded 3-manifolds
- 1. J. W. Anderson, Closed essential surfaces in hyperbolizable acylindrical manifolds. Preprint.
- 2. B. Freedman & M.H. Freedman Haken finiteness for bounded -manifolds, locally free groups and cyclic covers. Preprint.
- 3. David Gabai, On 3-manifolds finitely covered by surface bundles, Low-dimensional topology and Kleinian groups (Coventry/Durham, 1984), London Math. Soc. Lecture Note Ser., vol. 112, Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, 1986, pp. 145–155. MR 903863
- 4. John Hempel, Residual finiteness for 3-manifolds, Combinatorial group theory and topology (Alta, Utah, 1984) Ann. of Math. Stud., vol. 111, Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton, NJ, 1987, pp. 379–396. MR 895623
- 5. John Hempel, 3-Manifolds, Princeton University Press, Princeton, N. J.; University of Tokyo Press, Tokyo, 1976. Ann. of Math. Studies, No. 86. MR 0415619
- 6. D. D. Long and G. A. Niblo, Subgroup separability and 3-manifold groups, Math. Z. 207 (1991), no. 2, 209–215. MR 1109662, 10.1007/BF02571384
- 7. Martin Scharlemann and Ying Qing Wu, Hyperbolic manifolds and degenerating handle additions, J. Austral. Math. Soc. Ser. A 55 (1993), no. 1, 72–89. MR 1231695
- 8. W.P. Thurston. The Geometry and Topology of 3-manifolds. Princeton University mimeographed notes. (1979)
- 9. William P. Thurston, Three-dimensional manifolds, Kleinian groups and hyperbolic geometry, Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. (N.S.) 6 (1982), no. 3, 357–381. MR 648524, 10.1090/S0273-0979-1982-15003-0
- 10. Friedhelm Waldhausen, On irreducible 3-manifolds which are sufficiently large, Ann. of Math. (2) 87 (1968), 56–88. MR 0224099
- J. W. Anderson, Closed essential surfaces in hyperbolizable acylindrical manifolds. Preprint.
- B. Freedman & M.H. Freedman Haken finiteness for bounded -manifolds, locally free groups and cyclic covers. Preprint.
- D. Gabai On 3-manifolds finitely covered by surface bundles, In Low-dimensional Topology and Kleinian Groups, L. M. S. Lecture Note Series, vol 112, Ed. D. B. A. Epstein, pp 146-155, C. U. P. (1986). MR 88m:57021
- J. Hempel. Residual finiteness for -Manifolds. In Combinatorial Group Theory and Topology. Ann. of Math. Studies, vol. 111 pp. 379 -396, P. U. P (1987). MR 89b:57002
- J. Hempel. 3-manifolds. Ann. of Math. Studies, vol. 86, P. U. P. (1976). MR 54:3702
- D.D. Long & G. Niblo. Subgroup Separability and -manifold groups. Math. Zeit. vol. 207 (1991), pp.209 - 215. MR 92g:20047
- M. Scharlemann & Y. Q. Wu Hyperbolic manifolds and degenerating handle additions. J. Aust. Math. Soc. vol. 55 (1993) pp. 72 -89. MR 94e:57019
- W.P. Thurston. The Geometry and Topology of 3-manifolds. Princeton University mimeographed notes. (1979)
- W.P. Thurston. Three dimensional manifolds, Kleinian groups and hyperbolic geometry. Bull. A.M.S. vol 6 (1982) pp. 357 - 381. MR 83h:57019
- F. Waldhausen. On irreducible three-manifolds which are sufficiently large. Ann. of Math. 87 (1968) pp. 56 - 68. MR 36:7146
Retrieve articles in Journal of the American Mathematical Society with MSC (1991): 57M50
Retrieve articles in all journals with MSC (1991): 57M50
Affiliation: Department of Mathematics, University Of California, Santa Barbara, California 93106
A. W. Reid
Affiliation: Department of Mathematics, University of Texas, Austin, Texas 78712
Received by editor(s): September 5, 1996
Additional Notes: The first two authors were partially supported by the NSF, and the third by the Royal Society.
Article copyright: © Copyright 1997 American Mathematical Society