Numerical Chebyshev approximation by interpolating rationals
Abstract: The paper is concerned with the Chebyshev approximation of decay-type functions by interpolating rationals. The interpolating points are chosen to be the zeros of . Existence, uniqueness and characterization of best approximations are first shown. An exchange algorithm is then described for computing the best approximation.
-  K. Appel, ``Rational approximation of decay-type functions,'' Nordisk Tidskr. Informationsbehandling, v. 2, 1962, pp. 69-75.
-  D. C. Handscomb (ed.), Methods of numerical approximation, Pergamon Press, Oxford-New York-Toronto, Ont., 1966. Lectures delivered at a Summer School held at Oxford University, Oxford, September, 1965. MR 0455292
-  Cecil Hastings Jr., Approximations for digital computers, Princeton University Press, Princeton, N. J., 1955. Assisted by Jeanne T. Hayward and James P. Wong, Jr. MR 0068915
-  Günter Meinardus, Approximation of functions: Theory and numerical methods, Expanded translation of the German edition. Translated by Larry L. Schumaker. Springer Tracts in Natural Philosophy, Vol. 13, Springer-Verlag New York, Inc., New York, 1967. MR 0217482
-  John R. Rice, The approximation of functions. Vol. I: Linear theory, Addison-Wesley Publishing Co., Reading, Mass.-London, 1964. MR 0166520
-  J. Williams, Some Numerical Problems in Theoretical Physics, Doctoral Thesis, University of Oxford, Oxford, 1968.
- K. Appel, ``Rational approximation of decay-type functions,'' Nordisk Tidskr. Informationsbehandling, v. 2, 1962, pp. 69-75.
- D. C. Handscomb, Methods of Numerical Approximation, Pergamon Press, London, 1966. MR 0455292 (56:13531)
- C. Hastings, Approximations for Digital Computers, Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton, N. J., 1955. MR 16, 963. MR 0068915 (16:963e)
- G. Meinardus, Approximation of Functions: Theory and Numerical Methods, Springer, Berlin, 1964; English transl., Springer Tracts in Natural Philosophy, vol. 13, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1967. MR 31 #547; MR 36 #571. MR 0217482 (36:571)
- John R. Rice, The Approximation of Functions. Vol. I: Linear Theory, AddisonWesley, Reading, Mass., 1964. MR 29 #3795. MR 0166520 (29:3795)
- J. Williams, Some Numerical Problems in Theoretical Physics, Doctoral Thesis, University of Oxford, Oxford, 1968.
Retrieve articles in Mathematics of Computation with MSC: 65D15
Retrieve articles in all journals with MSC: 65D15