An algorithm for computing logarithms and arctangents
Abstract: An iterative algorithm with fast convergence can be used to compute logarithms, inverse circular functions, or inverse hyperbolic functions according to the choice of initial conditions. Only rational operations and square roots are required. The method consists in adding an auxiliary recurrence relation to Borchardt's algorithm to speed the convergence.
-  Handbook of mathematical functions, with formulas, graphs, and mathematical tables, Edited by Milton Abramowitz and Irene A. Stegun. Third printing, with corrections. National Bureau of Standards Applied Mathematics Series, vol. 55, Superintendent of Documents, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C., 1965. MR 0177136
-  B. C. Carlson, Algorithms involving arithmetic and geometric means, Amer. Math. Monthly 78 (1971), 496–505. MR 0283246, https://doi.org/10.2307/2317754
-  B. C. Carlson, The logarithmic mean, Amer. Math. Monthly 79 (1972), 615–618. MR 0302842, https://doi.org/10.2307/2317088
-  J. F. Hart et al., Computer Approximations, Wiley, New York, 1968.
-  Eduard L. Stiefel, An introduction to numerical mathematics, Translated by Werner C. Rheinboldt and Cornelie J. Rheinboldt, Academic Press, New York-London, 1963. MR 0181077
-  Henry C. Thacher Jr., Iterated square root expansions for the inverse cosine and inverse hyperbolic cosine, Math. Comp. 15 (1961), 399–403. MR 0135228, https://doi.org/10.1090/S0025-5718-1961-0135228-5
- M. Abramowitz & I. Stegun (Editors), Handbook of Mathematical Functions with Formulas, Graphs, and Mathematical Tables, Department of Commerce, Nat. Bur. Standards Appl. Math. Series, 55, U. S. Government Printing Office, Washington, D. C., 1964; 3rd printing, with corrections, 1965. MR 29 #4941; MR 31 #1400. MR 0177136 (31:1400)
- B. C. Carlson, ``Algorithms involving arithmetic and geometric means,'' Amer. Math. Monthly, v. 78, 1971, pp. 496-505. MR 0283246 (44:479)
- B. C. Carlson, ``The logarithmic mean,'' Amer. Math. Monthly, v. 79, 1972. MR 0302842 (46:1985)
- J. F. Hart et al., Computer Approximations, Wiley, New York, 1968.
- E. L. Stiefel, An Introduction to Numerical Mathematics, Academic Press, New York, 1963. MR 31 #5306. MR 0181077 (31:5306)
- H. C. Thacher, Jr., ``Iterated square root expansions for the inverse cosine and inverse hyperbolic cosine,'' Math. Comp., v. 15, 1961, pp. 399-403. MR 24 #B1278. MR 0135228 (24:B1278)
Retrieve articles in Mathematics of Computation with MSC: 65D20
Retrieve articles in all journals with MSC: 65D20
Keywords: Logarithms, arctangents, iteration, Borchardt's algorithm, inverse circular functions, inverse hyperbolic functions, acceleration of convergence
Article copyright: © Copyright 1972 American Mathematical Society