Methods for computing and modifying the factors of a matrix
Authors: Philip E. Gill, Walter Murray and Michael A. Saunders
Journal: Math. Comp. 29 (1975), 1051-1077
MSC: Primary 65F30
MathSciNet review: 0388754
Abstract: Methods are given for computing the LDV factorization of a matrix B and modifying the factorization when columns of B are added or deleted. The methods may be viewed as a means for updating the orthogonal (LQ) factorization of B without the use of square roots. It is also shown how these techniques lead to two numerically stable methods for updating the Cholesky factorization of a matrix following the addition or subtraction, respectively, of a matrix of rank one. The first method turns out to be one given recently by Fletcher and Powell; the second method has not appeared before.
-  R. FLETCHER & M. J. D. POWELL (1973), On the Modification of Factorizations, AERE report, TP 519.
-  W. Morven Gentleman, Least squares computations by Givens transformations without square roots, J. Inst. Math. Appl. 12 (1973), 329–336. MR 0329233
-  P. E. Gill, G. H. Golub, W. Murray, and M. A. Saunders, Methods for modifying matrix factorizations, Math. Comp. 28 (1974), 505–535. MR 0343558, https://doi.org/10.1090/S0025-5718-1974-0343558-6
-  Eli Hellerman and Dennis Rarick, Reinversion with the preassigned pivot procedure, Math. Programming 1 (1971), 195–216. MR 0293819, https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01584086
-  Donald J. Rose and Ralph A. Willoughby (eds.), Sparse matrices and their applications, Plenum Press, New York-London, 1972. MR 0331743
-  M. A. SAUNDERS (1972), Product Form of the Cholesky Factorization for Large-Scale Linear Programming, Report STAN--CS--72--301, Computer Science Department, Stanford University, Stanford, California.
- R. FLETCHER & M. J. D. POWELL (1973), On the Modification of Factorizations, AERE report, TP 519.
- W. M. GENTLEMAN (1973), "Least squares computations by Givens transformations without square roots," J. Inst. Math. Appl., v. 12, pp. 329-336. MR 48 #7575. MR 0329233 (48:7575)
- P. E. GILL, G. H. GOLUB, W. MURRAY & M. A. SAUNDERS (1974), "Methods for modifying matrix factorizations," Math. Comp., v. 28, pp. 505-535. MR 0343558 (49:8299)
- E. HELLERMAN & D. RARICK (1971), "Reinversion with the preassigned pivot procedure," Math. Programming, v. 1, pp. 195-216. MR 45 #2895 MR 0293819 (45:2895)
- E. HELLERMAN & D. RARICK (1972), "The partitioned preassigned pivot procedure ," Sparse Matrices and Their Applications, D. J. Rose and R. A. Willoughby (Editors), Plenum Press, New York, pp. 67-76. MR 48 #10075. MR 0331743 (48:10075)
- M. A. SAUNDERS (1972), Product Form of the Cholesky Factorization for Large-Scale Linear Programming, Report STAN--CS--72--301, Computer Science Department, Stanford University, Stanford, California.
Retrieve articles in Mathematics of Computation with MSC: 65F30
Retrieve articles in all journals with MSC: 65F30