On existence criteria and approximation procedures for integral equations of the first kind
C. W. Groetsch
Math. Comp. 29 (1975), 1105-1108
Primary 45L05; Secondary 65R05, 47A50
Full-text PDF Free Access
Similar Articles |
Abstract: The existence of solutions of Fredholm integral equations of the first kind is characterized in terms of the convergence properties of a general approximation procedure based on a spectral analysis of the integral operator. Applications are given to some iterative and regularization methods. In particular, some results of Diaz and Metcalf are generalized.
B. Diaz and F.
T. Metcalf, On iteration procedures for equations
of the first kind, 𝐴𝑥=𝑦, and Picard’s
criterion for the existence of a solution, Math. Comp. 24 (1970), 923–935. MR 0281376
(43 #7094), http://dx.doi.org/10.1090/S0025-5718-1970-0281376-4
K. Faddeev and V.
N. Faddeeva, Computational methods of linear algebra,
Translated by Robert C. Williams, W. H. Freeman and Co., San
Francisco-London, 1963. MR 0158519
M. Fridman, Method of successive approximations for a Fredholm
integral equation of the 1st kind, Uspehi Mat. Nauk (N.S.)
11 (1956), no. 1(67), 233–234 (Russian). MR 0076183
E. Taylor, Introduction to functional analysis, John Wiley
& Sons, Inc., New York; Chapman & Hall, Ltd., London, 1958. MR 0098966
N. Tihonov, On the regularization of ill-posed problems, Dokl.
Akad. Nauk SSSR 153 (1963), 49–52 (Russian). MR 0162378
- J. B. DIAZ & F. T. METCALF, "On iteration procedures for equations of the first kind, , and Picard's criterion for the existence of a solution," Math. Comp., v. 24, 1970, pp. 923-935. MR 43 #7094. MR 0281376 (43:7094)
- D. K. FADDEEV & V. N. FADDEEVA, Computational Methods of Linear Algebra, Fizmatgiz, Moscow, 1960; English transl., Freeman, San Francisco, Calif., 1963. MR 28 #1742; #4659. MR 0158519 (28:1742)
- V. M. FRIDMAN, "Method of successive approximations for a Fredholm integral equation of the first kind," Uspehi Mat. Nauk, v. 11, 1956, no. 1 (67), pp. 233-234. (Russian) MR 17, 861. MR 0076183 (17:861a)
- A. E. TAYLOR, Introduction to Functional Analysis, Wiley, New York; Chapman & Hall, London, 1958. MR 20 #5411. MR 0098966 (20:5411)
- A. N. TIHONOV, "Regularization of incorrectly posed problems," Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR, v. 153, 1963, pp. 49-52 = Soviet Math. Dokl., v. 4, 1963, pp. 1624-1627. MR 28 #5577. MR 0162378 (28:5577)
Retrieve articles in Mathematics of Computation
Retrieve articles in all journals
Integral equations of first kind,
© Copyright 1975
American Mathematical Society