The QR algorithm and Hyman's method on vector computers
Abstract: The implementation on vector computers of the QR algorithm and of iterative schemes based on obtaining the determinant and its derivatives by Hyman's method are presented. It is shown that iterative schemes based on Hyman's method will probably be more efficient than the QR algorithm on vector computers for large matrices. A theoretical comparison of the Laguerre iterative scheme with the QR algorithm is presented using the latest available CDC STAR-100 instruction execution times. In addition, the results of several test cases run on the Laguerre-Hyman algorithm on a serial computer are reported.
-  J. G. F. Francis, The 𝑄𝑅 transformation: a unitary analogue to the 𝐿𝑅 transformation. I, Comput. J. 4 (1961/1962), 265–271. MR 0130111, https://doi.org/10.1093/comjnl/4.3.265
-  Robert T. Gregory and David L. Karney, A collection of matrices for testing computational algorithms, Wiley-Interscience A Division of John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York-London-Sydney, 1969. MR 0253538
-  L. M. HOWSER & J. J. LAMBIOTTE, JR., STAR Adaption for Two Algorithms Used on Serial Computers, NASA Technical Memorandum X-3003, June 1974.
-  Beresford Parlett, Laguerre’s method applied to the matrix eigenvalue problem, Math. Comp. 18 (1964), 464–485. MR 0165668, https://doi.org/10.1090/S0025-5718-1964-0165668-2
-  J. H. Wilkinson, The algebraic eigenvalue problem, Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1965. MR 0184422
-  Handbook for automatic computation. Vol. II, Springer-Verlag, New York-Heidelberg, 1971. Linear algebra; Compiled by J. H. Wilkinson and C. Reinsch; Die Grundlehren der Mathematischen Wissenschaften, Band 186. MR 0461856
- J. G. F. FRANCIS, "The QR transformation: A unitary analogue to the LR transformation. I, II," Comput. J., v. 4, 1961/62, pp. 265-271, 332-345. MR 23 #B3143; 25 #744. MR 0130111 (23:B3143)
- R. T. GREGORY & D. L. KARNEY, A Collection of Matrices for Testing Computational Algorithms, Wiley, New York, 1969. MR 40 #6752. MR 0253538 (40:6752)
- L. M. HOWSER & J. J. LAMBIOTTE, JR., STAR Adaption for Two Algorithms Used on Serial Computers, NASA Technical Memorandum X-3003, June 1974.
- BERESFORD PARLETT, "Laguerre's method applied to the matrix eigenvalue problem," Math. Comp., v. 18, 1964, pp. 464-485. MR 29 #2948. MR 0165668 (29:2948)
- J. H. WILKINSON, The Algebraic Eigenvalue Problem, Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1965. MR 32 #1894. MR 0184422 (32:1894)
- J. H. WILKINSON & C. REINSCH, Handbook for Automatic Computation. Vol. II, Linear Algebra, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1971. MR 0461856 (57:1840)
Retrieve articles in Mathematics of Computation with MSC: 65F15
Retrieve articles in all journals with MSC: 65F15
Keywords: Vector computers, eigenvalues, QR algorithm, Hyman's method
Article copyright: © Copyright 1976 American Mathematical Society