Identifying differential equations by Galerkin's method
Abstract: A numerical technique based on Galerkin's method is presented for computing unknown parameters or functions occurring in a differential equation whose solution is known. Under certain conditions a solution can be shown to exist to the integral equation formulation of this problem. It is also shown that the resulting nonlinear system is nonsingular.
-  R. Bellman, H. Kagiwada, and R. Kalaba, Invariant imbedding and nonvariational principles in analytical dynamics, Internat. J. Non-Linear Mech. 1 (1966), 51–55 (English, with French, German and Russian summaries). MR 0230538
-  L. V. Kantorovich and V. I. Krylov, Approximate methods of higher analysis, Translated from the 3rd Russian edition by C. D. Benster, Interscience Publishers, Inc., New York; P. Noordhoff Ltd., Groningen, 1958. MR 0106537
-  R. Jonathan Lermit, Numerical methods for the identification of differential equations, SIAM J. Numer. Anal. 12 (1975), 488–500. MR 0384231, https://doi.org/10.1137/0712038
-  J. W. MOSEVICH, "Analytical and numerical approximations of a functional differential equation arising in the design of a microwave antenna," Utilitas Math., v. 4, 1973, pp. 129-145.
-  Thomas L. Saaty, Modern nonlinear equations, McGraw-Hill Book Co., New York-Toronto, Ont.-London, 1967. MR 0218160
-  Yu. V. Vorobyev, Method of moments in applied mathematics, Gordon and Breach Science Publishers, New York-London-Paris, 1965. Translated from the Russian by Bernard Seckler. MR 0184400
- R. BELLMAN, H. KAGIWADA & R. KALABA, "Inverse problems in ecology," J. Theoret. Biol., v. 11, 1966, pp. 164-167. MR 0230538 (37:6100)
- L. V. KANTOROVIČ & V. I. KRYLOV, Approximate Methods of Higher Analysis, 3rd ed., GITTL, Moscow, 1950; English transl., Interscience, New York, 1958. MR 13, 77; 21 # 5268. MR 0106537 (21:5268)
- R. J. LERMIT, "Numerical methods for the identification of differential equations," SIAM J. Numer. Anal., v. 12, 1975, pp. 488-500. MR 0384231 (52:5108)
- J. W. MOSEVICH, "Analytical and numerical approximations of a functional differential equation arising in the design of a microwave antenna," Utilitas Math., v. 4, 1973, pp. 129-145.
- T. L. SAATY, Modern Nonlinear Equations, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1967. MR 36 # 1249. MR 0218160 (36:1249)
- Yu. V. VOROBYEV, Methods of Moments in Applied Mathematics, Fizmatgiz, Moscow, 1958; English transl., Gordon and Breach, New York, 1965. MR 21 # 7591; 32 # 1872. MR 0184400 (32:1872)