Linear Chebyshev approximation of complex-valued functions
Authors: I. Barrodale, L. M. Delves and J. C. Mason
Journal: Math. Comp. 32 (1978), 853-863
MSC: Primary 65D15; Secondary 41A50
MathSciNet review: 0483298
Full-text PDF Free Access
Abstract: This paper is concerned with Chebyshev approximation by linear functions to complex-valued data. The problem is nonlinear, and we present a convergent algorithm for its solution. We also pose a related linear problem which is simple to solve, and which produces approximations which are near-best in the Chebyshev sense within a factor of . Some numerical examples are provided.
-  I. Barrodale and C. Phillips, An improved algorithm for discrete Chebyshev linear approximation, Proceedings of the Fourth Manitoba Conference on Numerical Mathematics (Winnipeg, Man., 1974) Utilitas Math., Winnipeg, Man., 1975, pp. 177–190. Congr. Numer., No. XII. MR 0373585
-  L. Collatz and W. Wetterling, Optimization problems, Springer-Verlag, New York-Heidelberg, 1975. Translated from the German by P. Wadsack; Applied Mathematical Sciences, Vol. 17. MR 0377635
-  S. Ellacott and Jack Williams, Linear Chebyshev approximation in the complex plane using Lawson’s algorithm, Math. Comput. 30 (1976), no. 133, 35–44. MR 0400652, https://doi.org/10.1090/S0025-5718-1976-0400652-0
-  K. O. Geddes and J. C. Mason, Polynomial approximation by projections on the unit circle, SIAM J. Numer. Anal. 12 (1975), 111–120. MR 0364977, https://doi.org/10.1137/0712011
-  Numerical methods for constrained optimization, Academic Press, London-New York, 1974. Edited by P. E. Gill and W. Murray. MR 0395227
-  C. L. LAWSON, Contributions to the Theory of Linear Least Maximum Approximations, Thesis, Univ. of California, Los Angeles, 1961.
-  G. G. Lorentz, Approximation of functions, Holt, Rinehart and Winston, New York-Chicago, Ill.-Toronto, Ont., 1966. MR 0213785
-  P. Rabinowitz, Mathematical programming and approximation, Approximation Theory (Proc. Sympos., Lancaster, 1969) Academic Press, London, 1970, pp. 217–231. MR 0267896
-  D. M. SIMMONS, Nonlinear Programming for Operations Research, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, N. J., 1975, (Chapter 9).
-  W. I. ZANGWILL, Nonlinear Programming, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, N. J., 1969, (Chapter 14).
-  S. I. Zukhovitskiy and L. I. Avdeyeva, Linear and convex programming, Translated from the Russian by Scripta Technica, Inc. Edited by Bernard R. Gelbaum, W. B. Saunders Co., Philadelphia, Pa.-London, 1966. MR 0226936
- I. BARRODALE & C. PHILLIPS, Algorithm 495--Solution of an Overdetermined System of Linear Equations in the Chebyshev Norm, ACM Trans. Math. Software, v. 1, 1975, pp. 264-270. MR 0373585 (51:9785)
- L. COLLATZ & W. WETTERLING, Optimization Problems, Springer-Verlag, Berlin and New York, 1975, pp. 278-280. MR 0377635 (51:13806)
- S. ELLACOTT & JACK WILLIAMS, "Linear Chebyshev approximation in the complex plane using Lawson's algorithm," Math. Comp., v. 30, 1976, pp. 35-44. MR 0400652 (53:4483)
- K. O. GEDDES & J. C. MASON, "Polynomial approximation by projections on the unit circle," SIAM J. Numer. Anal., v. 12, 1975, pp. 111-120. MR 0364977 (51:1230)
- P. E. GILL & W. MURRAY, Numerical Methods for Constrained Optimization, Academic Press, New York, 1974. MR 0395227 (52:16025)
- C. L. LAWSON, Contributions to the Theory of Linear Least Maximum Approximations, Thesis, Univ. of California, Los Angeles, 1961.
- G. G. LORENTZ, Approximation of Functions, Holt, Rinehart and Winston, New York,1966. MR 0213785 (35:4642)
- P. RABINOWITZ, "Mathematical programming and approximation," in Approximation Theory, A. Talbot (Editor), Academic Press, New York, 1970, pp. 217-231. MR 0267896 (42:2797)
- D. M. SIMMONS, Nonlinear Programming for Operations Research, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, N. J., 1975, (Chapter 9).
- W. I. ZANGWILL, Nonlinear Programming, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, N. J., 1969, (Chapter 14).
- S. I. ZUKHOVITSKIY & L. I. AVDEYEVA, Linear and Convex Programming, Saunders, Philadelphia, 1966, (Chapter 6). MR 0226936 (37:2522)