The finite element method in the family of improperly posed problems
Hou De Han
Math. Comp. 38 (1982), 55-65
Primary 65M60; Secondary 35R25, 65M30
Full-text PDF Free Access
Similar Articles |
Abstract: The numerical solution of the Cauchy problem for elliptic equations is considered. We reformulate the original problem as a variational inequality problem, which we solve using the finite element method. Moreover, we prove the convergence of the approximate solution.
J. Hadamard, Lectures on the Cauchy Problem in Linear Partial Differential Equations, Yale Univ. Press, New Haven, 1923.
M. Lavrent′ev, On the Cauchy problem for Laplace
equation, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR. Ser. Mat. 20 (1956),
819–842 (Russian). MR 0087874
E. Payne, Bounds in the Cauchy problem for the Laplace
equation, Arch. Rational Mech. Anal. 5 (1960),
35–45 (1960). MR 0110875
E. Payne, On a priori bounds in the Cauchy problem for elliptic
equations, SIAM J. Math. Anal. 1 (1970), 82–89.
0262654 (41 #7259)
E. Payne, Improperly posed problems in partial differential
equations, Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics,
Philadelphia, Pa., 1975. Regional Conference Series in Applied Mathematics,
No. 22. MR
0463736 (57 #3678)
Ekeland and Roger
Temam, Convex analysis and variational problems, North-Holland
Publishing Co., Amsterdam, 1976. Translated from the French; Studies in
Mathematics and its Applications, Vol. 1. MR 0463994
De Han and Long
An Ying, An iterative method with infinite elements, Math.
Numer. Sinica 1 (1979), no. 1, 91–99 (Chinese,
with English summary). MR 656882
- J. Hadamard, Lectures on the Cauchy Problem in Linear Partial Differential Equations, Yale Univ. Press, New Haven, 1923.
- M. M. Lavrentiev, ``On the Cauchy problem for the Laplace equation,'' Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR Ser. Mat., v. 20, 1956, pp. 819-842. (Russian) MR 0087874 (19:426d)
- L. E. Payne, ``Bounds in the Cauchy problem for the Laplace equation,'' Arch. Rational Mech. Anal., v. 5, 1960, pp. 35-45. MR 0110875 (22:1743)
- L. E. Payne, ``On a priori bounds in the Cauchy problem for elliptic equations,'' SIAM J. Math. Anal., v. 1, 1970, pp. 82-89. MR 0262654 (41:7259)
- L. E. Payne, Improperly Posed Problems in Partial Differential Equations, Regional Conf. Series in Appl. Math., SIAM, 1975. MR 0463736 (57:3678)
- I. Ekeland & R. Teman, Convex Analysis and Variational Problems, American Elsevier, New York, 1976. MR 0463994 (57:3931b)
- Hou-de Han & Long-an Ying, ``An iterative method in the infinite element,'' Math. Numer. Sinica, v. 1, 1979, pp. 91-99. MR 656882 (83d:65285)
Retrieve articles in Mathematics of Computation
Retrieve articles in all journals
© Copyright 1982 American Mathematical Society