Numerical stability of the Halley-iteration for the solution of a system of nonlinear equations
Annie A. M. Cuyt
Math. Comp. 38 (1982), 171-179
Primary 65H10; Secondary 65G05, 65J15
Full-text PDF Free Access
Similar Articles |
Abstract: Let and a simple root in of the system of nonlinear equations .
Abstract Padé approximants (APA) and abstract Rational approximants (ARA) for the operator F have been introduced in  and . The adjective ``abstract'' refers to the use of abstract polynomials  for the construction of the rational operators.
The APA and ARA have been used for the solution of a system of nonlinear equations in . Of particular interest was the following third order iterative procedure: with the 1st Fréchet-derivative of F in the Newton-correction where the 2nd Fréchet-derivative of F in where is the bilinear operator evaluated in , and componentwise multiplication and division in . For this technique is known as the Halley-iteration [6, p. 91]. In this paper the numerical stability  of the Halley-iteration for the case is investigated and illustrated by a numerical example.
G. Bartle, The elements of real analysis, 2nd ed., John Wiley
& Sons, New York-London-Sydney, 1976. MR 0393369
A. M. Cuyt, Abstract Padé-approximants in operator
theory, Padé approximation and its applications (Proc. Conf.,
Univ. Antwerp, Antwerp, 1979), Lecture Notes in Math., vol. 765,
Springer, Berlin, 1979, pp. 61–87. MR 561445
A. M. Cuyt, On the properties of abstract rational (1-point)
approximants, J. Operator Theory 6 (1981),
no. 2, 195–216. MR 643691
A. Cuyt & P. Van der Cruyssen, Abstract Padé Approximants for the Solution of a System of Nonlinear Equations, Report 80-17, University of Antwerp, 1980.
B. Rall, Computational solution of nonlinear operator
equations, With an appendix by Ramon E. Moore, John Wiley & Sons
Inc., New York, 1969. MR 0240944
F. Traub, Iterative methods for the solution of equations,
Prentice-Hall Series in Automatic Computation, Prentice-Hall Inc.,
Englewood Cliffs, N.J., 1964. MR 0169356
Woźniakowski, Numerical stability for solving nonlinear
equations, Numer. Math. 27 (1976/77), no. 4,
373–390. MR 0443323
D. Young, A Survey of Numerical Mathematics. I, Addison-Wesley, Reading, Mass., 1972.
- R. G. Bartle, The Elements of Real Analysis, Wiley, New York, 1976. MR 0393369 (52:14179)
- Annie A. M. Cuyt, Abstract Padé Approximants in Operator Theory, Lecture Notes in Math., Vol. 765, Springer-Verlag, Berlin and New York, 1979, pp. 61-87. MR 561445 (81g:41042)
- Annie A. M. Cuyt, ``On the properties of Abstract Rational (1-point) Approximants,'' J. Operator Theory, v. 5, 1981. (To appear.) MR 643691 (83h:41020)
- A. Cuyt & P. Van der Cruyssen, Abstract Padé Approximants for the Solution of a System of Nonlinear Equations, Report 80-17, University of Antwerp, 1980.
- Louis B. Kall, Computational Solution of Nonlinear Operator Equations, Wiley, New York, 1969; reprinted by Krieger, Huntington, New York, 1979. MR 0240944 (39:2289)
- J. F. Traub, Iterative Methods for the Solution of Equations, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, N. J., 1964. MR 0169356 (29:6607)
- H. Woźniakowski, ``Numerical stability for solving nonlinear equations,'' Numer. Math., v. 27, 1977, pp. 373-390. MR 0443323 (56:1693)
- D. Young, A Survey of Numerical Mathematics. I, Addison-Wesley, Reading, Mass., 1972.
Retrieve articles in Mathematics of Computation
Retrieve articles in all journals
© Copyright 1982 American Mathematical Society