Formulas for factorial
Francis J. Murray
Math. Comp. 39 (1982), 655-662
Primary 33A15; Secondary 39A70, 41A60
Full-text PDF Free Access
Similar Articles |
Abstract: Burnside's and Stirling's formulas for factorial N are special cases of a family of formulas with corresponding asymptotic series given by E. W. Barnes in 1899. An operational procedure for obtaining these formulas and series is presented which yields both convergent and divergent series and error estimates in the latter case. Two formulas of this family have superior accuracy and the geometric mean is better than either.
W. Burnside, "A rapidly convergent series for !," Messenger Math., v. 46, 1917, pp. 157-159.
Oberhettinger, and Francesco
G. Tricomi, Higher transcendental functions. Vols. I, II,
McGraw-Hill Book Company, Inc., New York-Toronto-London, 1953. Based, in
part, on notes left by Harry Bateman. MR 0058756
Franklin, A Treatise on Advanced Calculus, John Wiley &
Sons, Inc., New York, 1940. MR 0002571
J. Lighthill, Introduction to Fourier analysis and generalised
functions, Cambridge University Press, New York, 1960. MR 0115085
S. Miller, An introduction to the calculus of finite differences
and difference equations, Dover Publications, Inc., New York, 1966. MR 0206540
J. R. Wilton, "A proof of Burnside's formula for and certain allied properties of the Riemann -function," Messenger Math., v. 52, 1922, pp. 90-95.
- W. Burnside, "A rapidly convergent series for !," Messenger Math., v. 46, 1917, pp. 157-159.
- Arthur Erdelyi, Wilhelm Magnus, Fritz Oberhettinger & F. G. Tricomi, Higher Transcendental Functions, The Bateman Manuscript Project, California Institute of Technology, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1953. MR 0058756 (15:419i)
- Philip Franklin, A Treatise on Advanced Calculus, Wiley, New York, 1940; reprint, Dover, New York, 1964. MR 0002571 (2:77f)
- M. J. Lighthill, An Introduction to Fourier Analysis and Generalized Functions, Cambridge Univ. Press, New York, 1960. MR 0115085 (22:5888)
- Kenneth S. Miller, An Introduction to the Calculus of Finite Differences and Difference Equations, Holt, New York, 1960; reprint, Dover, New York, 1966. MR 0206540 (34:6358)
- J. R. Wilton, "A proof of Burnside's formula for and certain allied properties of the Riemann -function," Messenger Math., v. 52, 1922, pp. 90-95.
Retrieve articles in Mathematics of Computation
Retrieve articles in all journals
© Copyright 1982
American Mathematical Society