A note on the semi-infinite programming approach to complex approximation
Roy L. Streit and Albert H. Nuttall
Math. Comp. 40 (1983), 599-605
Primary 49D39; Secondary 30E10, 90C05
Full-text PDF Free Access
Similar Articles |
Abstract: Several observations are made about a recently proposed semi-infinite programming (SIP) method for computation of linear Chebyshev approximations to complex-valued functions. A particular discretization of the SIP problem is shown to be equivalent to replacing the usual absolute value of a complex number with related estimates, resulting in a class of quasi-norms on the complex number field , and consequently a class of quasi-norms on the space consisting of all continuous functions defined on , Q compact. These quasi-norms on are estimates of the norm on and are useful because the best approximation problem in each quasi-norm can be solved by solving (i) an ordinary linear program if Q is finite or (ii) a simplified SIP if Q is not finite.
Glashoff and K.
Roleff, A new method for Chebyshev
approximation of complex-valued functions, Math. Comp. 36 (1981), no. 153, 233–239. MR 595055
W. Cooper, and K.
Kortanek, Duality, Haar programs, and finite sequence spaces,
Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 48 (1962), 783–786. MR 0186393
Gustafson, On semi-infinite programming in numerical analysis,
Semi-infinite programming (Proc. Workshop, Bad Honnef, 1978) Lecture
Notes in Control and Information Sci., vol. 15, Springer, Berlin-New
York, 1979, pp. 137–153. MR 554208
L. Streit and A.
H. Nuttall, A general Chebyshev complex function approximation
procedure and an application to beamforming, J. Acoust. Soc. Amer.
72 (1982), no. 1, 181–190. MR 668082
Yosida, Functional analysis, Second edition. Die Grundlehren
der mathematischen Wissenschaften, Band 123, Springer-Verlag New York Inc.,
New York, 1968. MR 0239384
Barrodale and C.
Phillips, An improved algorithm for discrete Chebyshev linear
approximation, Proceedings of the Fourth Manitoba Conference on
Numerical Mathematics (Winnipeg, Man., 1974) Utilitas Math., Winnipeg,
Man., 1975, pp. 177–190. Congr. Numer., No. XII. MR 0373585
R. L. Streit, Numerical Solutions of Systems of Complex Linear Equations with Constraints on the Unknowns, Stanford University Department of Operations Research SOL Report. (To appear.)
Alistair Watson, Approximation theory and numerical methods,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., Chichester, 1980. A Wiley-Interscience
- K. Glashoff & K. Roleff, "A new method for Chebyshev approximation of complex-valued functions," Math. Comp., v. 36, 1981, pp. 233-239. MR 595055 (82c:65011)
- A. Charnes, W. W. Cooper & K. O. Kortanek, "Duality, Haar programs and finite sequence spaces," Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. U.S.A., v. 48, 1962, pp. 783-786. MR 0186393 (32:3853)
- S.-A. Gustafson, "On semi-infinite programming in numerical analysis," in Semi-Infinite Programming (R. Hettich, Ed.), Lecture Notes in Control and Information Sciences, Vol. 15, Springer-Verlag, Berlin and New York, 1979, pp. 137-153. MR 554208 (81c:90077)
- R. L. Streit & A. H. Nuttall, "A general Chebyshev complex function approximation procedure and an application to beamforming," J. Acoust. Soc. Amer., v. 72, 1982, pp. 181-190; Also NUSC Technical Report 6403, 26 February 1981. (Naval Underwater Systems Center, New London, Connecticut, U.S.A.) MR 668082 (83g:78024)
- K. Yosida, Functional Analysis, 2nd ed., Springer-Verlag, Berlin and New York, 1968. MR 0239384 (39:741)
- I. Barrodale & C. Phillips, "Solution of an overdetermined system of linear equations in the Chebyshev norm," Algorithm 495, ACM Trans. Math. Software, v. 1, 1975, pp. 264-270. MR 0373585 (51:9785)
- R. L. Streit, Numerical Solutions of Systems of Complex Linear Equations with Constraints on the Unknowns, Stanford University Department of Operations Research SOL Report. (To appear.)
- G. A. Watson, Approximation Theory and Numerical Methods, Wiley, New York, 1980. MR 574120 (82e:41001)
Retrieve articles in Mathematics of Computation
Retrieve articles in all journals
© Copyright 1983
American Mathematical Society