Approximations for the Bessel and Struve functions
Author: J. N. Newman
Journal: Math. Comp. 43 (1984), 551-556
MSC: Primary 65D20; Secondary 33A40
MathSciNet review: 758202
Full-text PDF Free Access
Abstract: Polynomials and rational-fraction approximations with minimax accuracy are presented for the Bessel functions of the first and second kind of orders zero and one, and for the Struve functions of the same order. The accuracy of these approximations is consistent with typical single-precision computations. The results for the Bessel functions improve upon those in Abramowitz and Stegun .
-  Milton Abramowitz and Irene A. Stegun, Handbook of mathematical functions with formulas, graphs, and mathematical tables, National Bureau of Standards Applied Mathematics Series, vol. 55, For sale by the Superintendent of Documents, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C., 1964. MR 0167642
-  E. E. Allen, Analytical approximations, Math. Tables and Other Aids to Computation 8 (1954), 240–241. MR 0064483, https://doi.org/10.1090/S0025-5718-1954-0064483-1
-  Y. L. Luke, Approximation of Special Functions, Academic Press, New York, 1975.
-  C. W. Clenshaw, Chebyshev series for mathematical functions, National Physical Laboratory Mathematical Tables, Vol. 5. Department of Scientific and Industrial Research, Her Majesty’s Stationery Office, London, 1962. MR 0142793
-  J. F. Hart, et al., Computer Approximations, Wiley, New York, 1968.
-  J. G. Hayes (ed.), Numerical approximation to functions and data, The Athlone Press [University of London], London, 1970. Conference of the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications held in Canterbury, 1967. MR 0519133
-  F. S. Acton, Numerical Methods that Work, Harper & Row, New York, 1970.
- M. Abramowitz & I. A. Stegun, Handbook of Mathematical Functions (AMS 55), Government Printing Office, Washington and Dover, New York, 1964. MR 0167642 (29:4914)
- E. E. Allen, "Analytical approximation," MTAC, v. 8, 1954, pp. 240-241. MR 0064483 (16:289c)
- Y. L. Luke, Approximation of Special Functions, Academic Press, New York, 1975.
- C. W. Clenshaw, Chebyshev Series for Mathematical Functions, National Physical Laboratory Mathematical Tables, Vol. 5, Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1962. MR 0142793 (26:362)
- J. F. Hart, et al., Computer Approximations, Wiley, New York, 1968.
- J. G. Hayes, editor, Numerical Approximation to Functions and Data, Inst. Math. Appl., Athlone Press, London, 1970. MR 0519133 (58:24836)
- F. S. Acton, Numerical Methods that Work, Harper & Row, New York, 1970.