Approximations for the Bessel and Struve functions
J. N. Newman
Math. Comp. 43 (1984), 551-556
Primary 65D20; Secondary 33A40
Full-text PDF Free Access
Similar Articles |
Abstract: Polynomials and rational-fraction approximations with minimax accuracy are presented for the Bessel functions of the first and second kind of orders zero and one, and for the Struve functions of the same order. The accuracy of these approximations is consistent with typical single-precision computations. The results for the Bessel functions improve upon those in Abramowitz and Stegun .
Abramowitz and Irene
A. Stegun, Handbook of mathematical functions with formulas,
graphs, and mathematical tables, National Bureau of Standards Applied
Mathematics Series, vol. 55, For sale by the Superintendent of
Documents, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C., 1964. MR 0167642
E. Allen, Analytical approximations, Math. Tables and Other Aids to Computation 8 (1954), 240–241. MR 0064483
Y. L. Luke, Approximation of Special Functions, Academic Press, New York, 1975.
W. Clenshaw, Chebyshev series for mathematical functions,
National Physical Laboratory Mathematical Tables, Vol. 5. Department of
Scientific and Industrial Research, Her Majesty’s Stationery Office,
London, 1962. MR
0142793 (26 #362)
J. F. Hart, et al., Computer Approximations, Wiley, New York, 1968.
G. Hayes (ed.), Numerical approximation to functions and data,
The Athlone Press [University of London], London, 1970. Conference of the
Institute of Mathematics and its Applications held in Canterbury, 1967. MR 0519133
F. S. Acton, Numerical Methods that Work, Harper & Row, New York, 1970.
- M. Abramowitz & I. A. Stegun, Handbook of Mathematical Functions (AMS 55), Government Printing Office, Washington and Dover, New York, 1964. MR 0167642 (29:4914)
- E. E. Allen, "Analytical approximation," MTAC, v. 8, 1954, pp. 240-241. MR 0064483 (16:289c)
- Y. L. Luke, Approximation of Special Functions, Academic Press, New York, 1975.
- C. W. Clenshaw, Chebyshev Series for Mathematical Functions, National Physical Laboratory Mathematical Tables, Vol. 5, Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1962. MR 0142793 (26:362)
- J. F. Hart, et al., Computer Approximations, Wiley, New York, 1968.
- J. G. Hayes, editor, Numerical Approximation to Functions and Data, Inst. Math. Appl., Athlone Press, London, 1970. MR 0519133 (58:24836)
- F. S. Acton, Numerical Methods that Work, Harper & Row, New York, 1970.
Retrieve articles in Mathematics of Computation
Retrieve articles in all journals
© Copyright 1984 American Mathematical Society