Some computational results on a problem concerning powerful numbers
Authors: A. J. Stephens and H. C. Williams
Journal: Math. Comp. 50 (1988), 619-632
MSC: Primary 11R11; Secondary 11A51, 11R27, 11Y16, 11Y40
MathSciNet review: 929558
Abstract: Let D be a positive square-free integer and let be the fundamental unit in the order with Z-basis . An algorithm, which is of time complexity for any positive , is developed for determining whether or not . Results are presented for a computer run of this algorithm on all . The conjecture of Ankeny, Artin and Chowla is verified for all primes less than .
-  N. C. Ankeny, E. Artin, and S. Chowla, The class-number of real quadratic number fields, Ann. of Math. (2) 56 (1952), 479–493. MR 0049948, https://doi.org/10.2307/1969656
-  B. D. Beach, H. C. Williams, and C. R. Zarnke, Some computer results on units in quadratic and cubic fields, Proceedings of the Twenty-Fifth Summer Meeting of the Canadian Mathematical Congress (Lakehead Univ., Thunder Bay, Ont., 1971) Lakehead Univ., Thunder Bay, Ont., 1971, pp. 609–648. MR 0337887
-  G. Chrystal, Textbook of Algebra, part 2, 2nd ed., Dover reprint, New York, 1969, pp. 423-490.
-  P. Erdős, "Consecutive numbers," Eureka 38, 1975/76, pp. 3-8.
-  Andrew Granville, Powerful numbers and Fermat’s last theorem, C. R. Math. Rep. Acad. Sci. Canada 8 (1986), no. 3, 215–218. MR 841645
-  H. W. Lenstra Jr., On the calculation of regulators and class numbers of quadratic fields, Number theory days, 1980 (Exeter, 1980) London Math. Soc. Lecture Note Ser., vol. 56, Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, 1982, pp. 123–150. MR 697260
-  R. A. Mollin and P. G. Walsh, A note on powerful numbers, quadratic fields and the Pellian, C. R. Math. Rep. Acad. Sci. Canada 8 (1986), no. 2, 109–114. MR 831787
-  L. J. Mordell, On a pellian equation conjecture, Acta Arith. 6 (1960), 137–144. MR 0118699, https://doi.org/10.4064/aa-6-2-137-144
-  Oskar Perron, Die Lehre von den Kettenbrüchen, Chelsea Publishing Co., New York, N. Y., 1950 (German). 2d ed. MR 0037384
-  R. J. Schoof, Quadratic fields and factorization, Computational methods in number theory, Part II, Math. Centre Tracts, vol. 155, Math. Centrum, Amsterdam, 1982, pp. 235–286. MR 702519
-  Daniel Shanks, Class number, a theory of factorization, and genera, 1969 Number Theory Institute (Proc. Sympos. Pure Math., Vol. XX, State Univ. New York, Stony Brook, N.Y., 1969) Amer. Math. Soc., Providence, R.I., 1971, pp. 415–440. MR 0316385
-  Daniel Shanks, The infrastructure of a real quadratic field and its applications, Proceedings of the Number Theory Conference (Univ. Colorado, Boulder, Colo., 1972) Univ. Colorado, Boulder, Colo., 1972, pp. 217–224. MR 0389842
-  R. Soleng, "A computer investigation of units in quadratic number fields," unpublished manuscript.
-  H. C. Williams, A numerical investigation into the length of the period of the continued fraction expansion of √𝐷, Math. Comp. 36 (1981), no. 154, 593–601. MR 606518, https://doi.org/10.1090/S0025-5718-1981-0606518-7
-  H. C. Williams and M. C. Wunderlich, On the parallel generation of the residues for the continued fraction factoring algorithm, Math. Comp. 48 (1987), no. 177, 405–423. MR 866124, https://doi.org/10.1090/S0025-5718-1987-0866124-1
- N. C. Ankeny, E. Artin & S. Chowla, "The class number of real quadratic number fields," Ann. of Math., v. 56, 1952, pp. 479-493. MR 0049948 (14:251h)
- B. D. Beach, H. C. Williams & C. R. Zarnke, Some Computer Results on Units in Quadratic and Cubic Fields, Proc. 25th Summer Meeting Canad. Math. Congr., Lakehead Univ., 1971, pp. 609-648. MR 0337887 (49:2656)
- G. Chrystal, Textbook of Algebra, part 2, 2nd ed., Dover reprint, New York, 1969, pp. 423-490.
- P. Erdős, "Consecutive numbers," Eureka 38, 1975/76, pp. 3-8.
- A. Granville, "Powerful numbers and Fermat's Last Theorem," C. R. Math. Rep. Acad. Sci. Canada, v. 8, 1986, pp. 215-218. MR 841645 (87h:11010)
- H. W. Lenstra, Jr., On the Calculation of Regulators and Class Numbers of Quadratic Fields, London Math. Soc. Lecture Note Series, vol. 56, 1982, pp. 123-150. MR 697260 (86g:11080)
- R. A. Mollin & P. G. Walsh, "A note on powerful numbers, quadratic fields, and the Pellian," C. R. Math. Rep. Acad. Sci. Canada, v. 8, 1986, pp. 109-111. MR 831787 (87g:11020)
- L. J. Mordell, "On a Pellian equation conjecture," Acta Arith., v. 6, 1960, pp. 137-144. MR 0118699 (22:9470)
- Oskar Perron, Die Lehre von den Kettenbrüchen, 2nd ed., Chelsea, New York, 1950. MR 0037384 (12:254b)
- R. J. Schoof, "Quadratic fields and factorization," Computational Methods in Number Theory (H. W. Lenstra, Jr. and R. Tijdemann, eds.), Math. Centrum Tracts, Number 155, Part II, Amsterdam, 1983, pp. 235-286. MR 702519 (85g:11118b)
- D. Shanks, Class Number, A Theory of Factorization and Genera, Proc. Sympos. Pure Math., vol. 20 (1969 Institute on Number Theory), Amer. Math. Soc., Providence, R. I., 1971, pp. 415-440. MR 0316385 (47:4932)
- D. Shanks, The Infrastructure of a Real Quadratic Field and Its Applications, Proc. 1972 Number Theory Conference, Boulder, 1972, pp. 217-224. MR 0389842 (52:10672)
- R. Soleng, "A computer investigation of units in quadratic number fields," unpublished manuscript.
- H. C. Williams, "A numerical investigation into the length of the period of the continued fraction expansion of ," Math. Comp., v. 34, 1981, pp. 593-601. MR 606518 (82f:10011)
- H. C. Williams & M. C. Wunderlich, "On the parallel generation of the residues for the continued fraction factoring algorithm," Math. Comp., v. 48, 1987, pp. 405-423. MR 866124 (88i:11099)