Generation of finite difference formulas on arbitrarily spaced grids
Abstract: Simple recursions are derived for calculating the weights in compact finite difference formulas for any order of derivative and to any order of accuracy on one-dimensional grids with arbitrary spacing. Tables are included for some special cases (of equispaced grids).
-  Milton Abramowitz and Irene A. Stegun, Handbook of mathematical functions with formulas, graphs, and mathematical tables, National Bureau of Standards Applied Mathematics Series, vol. 55, For sale by the Superintendent of Documents, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C., 1964. MR 0167642
-  S. J. Cynar, "Using Gaussian elimination for computation of the central difference equation coeficiente," SIGNUM Newsl. (USA), v. 22, 1987, pp. 12-19.
-  Bengt Fornberg, On a Fourier method for the integration of hyperbolic equations, SIAM J. Numer. Anal. 12 (1975), no. 4, 509–528. MR 0421096, https://doi.org/10.1137/0712040
-  H. B. Keller and V. Pereyra, Symbolic generation of finite difference formulas, Math. Comp. 32 (1978), no. 144, 955–971. MR 0494848, https://doi.org/10.1090/S0025-5718-1978-0494848-1
-  W. D. Lakin, Differentiating matrices for arbitrarily spaced grid points, Internat. J. Numer. Methods Engrg. 23 (1986), no. 2, 209–218. MR 831853, https://doi.org/10.1002/nme.1620230205
- M. Abramowitz & I. A. Stegun, Handbook of Mathematical Functions, National Bureau of Standards, Appl. Math. Series, no. 55, Washington, D. C., 1964. MR 0167642 (29:4914)
- S. J. Cynar, "Using Gaussian elimination for computation of the central difference equation coeficiente," SIGNUM Newsl. (USA), v. 22, 1987, pp. 12-19.
- B. Fornberg, "On a Fourier method for the integration of hyperbolic equations," SIAM J. Numer. Anal., v. 12, 1975, pp. 509-528. MR 0421096 (54:9101)
- H. B. Keller & V. Pereyra, "Symbolic generation of finite difference formulas," Math. Comp., v. 32, 1978, pp. 955-971. MR 0494848 (58:13632)
- W. D. Lakin, "Differentiating matrices for arbitrarily spaced grid points," Internat. J. Numer. Methods Engrg., v. 23, 1986, pp. 209-218. MR 831853 (87g:65025)
Retrieve articles in Mathematics of Computation with MSC: 65D25
Retrieve articles in all journals with MSC: 65D25
Keywords: Finite difference coefficients, high-order accuracy
Article copyright: © Copyright 1988 American Mathematical Society