A fast algorithm for rational interpolation via orthogonal polynomials
Ömer Eğecioğlu and Çetin K. Koç
Math. Comp. 53 (1989), 249-264
Primary 65D05; Secondary 33A65, 41A05
Full-text PDF Free Access
Similar Articles |
Abstract: A new algorithm for rational interpolation is proposed. Given the data set, the algorithm generates a set of orthogonal polynomials by the classical three-term recurrence relation and then uses Newton interpolation to find the numerator and the denominator polynomials of the rational interpolating function. The number of arithmetic operations of the algorithm to find a particular rational interpolant is , where is the number of data points. A variant of this algorithm that avoids Newton interpolation can be used to construct all rational interpolants using only arithmetic operations.
J. Davis, Interpolation and approximation, Dover Publications,
Inc., New York, 1975. Republication, with minor corrections, of the 1963
original, with a new preface and bibliography. MR 0380189
Ö. Egecioglu & Ç. K. Koç, An Parallel Algorithm for Rational Interpolation, Technical Report No. TRCS88-2, Department of Computer Science, University of California, Santa Barbara, August 1988.
E. Forsythe, Generation and use of orthogonal polynomials for
data-fitting with a digital computer, J. Soc. Indust. Appl. Math.
5 (1957), 74–88. MR 0092208
R. Graves-Morris and T.
R. Hopkins, Reliable rational interpolation, Numer. Math.
36 (1980/81), no. 2, 111–128. MR 611488
B. Hildebrand, Introduction to numerical analysis, McGraw-Hill
Book Company, Inc., New York-Toronto-London, 1956. MR 0075670
Muir, A treatise on the theory of determinants, Revised and
enlarged by William H. Metzler, Dover Publications, Inc., New York, 1960.
0114826 (22 #5644)
Ralston and Philip
Rabinowitz, A first course in numerical analysis, 2nd ed.,
McGraw-Hill Book Co., New York-Auckland-Bogotá, 1978. International
Series in Pure and Applied Mathematics. MR 0494814
Rissanen, Solution of linear equations with Hankel and Toeplitz
matrices, Numer. Math. 22 (1974), 361–366. MR 0351057
J. Rivlin, An introduction to the approximation of functions,
Blaisdell Publishing Co. Ginn and Co., Waltham, Mass.-Toronto, Ont.-London,
0249885 (40 #3126)
Schneider and Wilhelm
Werner, Some new aspects of rational
interpolation, Math. Comp.
47 (1986), no. 175, 285–299. MR 842136
G. Szegö, Orthogonal Polynomials, Amer. Math. Soc., Providence, R. I., 1959.
F. Trench, An algorithm for the inversion of finite Hankel
matrices, J. Soc. Indust. Appl. Math. 13 (1965),
1102–1107. MR 0189232
- P. J. Davis, Interpolation and Approximation, Dover, New York, 1975. MR 0380189 (52:1089)
- Ö. Egecioglu & Ç. K. Koç, An Parallel Algorithm for Rational Interpolation, Technical Report No. TRCS88-2, Department of Computer Science, University of California, Santa Barbara, August 1988.
- G. E. Forsythe, "Generation and use of orthogonal polynomials for data fitting with a digital computer," J. Soc. Indust. Appl. Math., v. 5, 1957, pp. 74-78. MR 0092208 (19:1079e)
- P. R. Graves-Morris & T. R. Hopkins, "Reliable rational interpolation," Numer. Math., v. 36, 1981, pp. 111-128. MR 611488 (82f:65008)
- F. B. Hildebrand, An Introduction to Numerical Analysis, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1956. MR 0075670 (17:788d)
- T. Muir, The Theory of Determinants, vol. 2, Dover, New York, 1960. MR 0114826 (22:5644)
- A. Ralston & P. Rabinowitz, A First Course in Numerical Analysis, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1978. MR 0494814 (58:13599)
- J. Rissanen, "Solution of linear equations with Hankel and Toeplitz matrices," Numer. Math., v. 22, 1974, pp. 361-366. MR 0351057 (50:3548)
- T. J. Rivlin, An Introduction to the Approximation of Functions, Dover, New York, 1969. MR 0249885 (40:3126)
- C. Schneider & W. Werner, "Some new aspects of rational interpolation," Math. Comp., v. 47, 1986, pp. 285-299. MR 842136 (87k:65012)
- G. Szegö, Orthogonal Polynomials, Amer. Math. Soc., Providence, R. I., 1959.
- W. F. Trench, "An algorithm for the inversion of finite Hankel matrices," J. Soc. Indust. Appl. Math., v. 13, 1965, pp. 1102-1107. MR 0189232 (32:6659)
Retrieve articles in Mathematics of Computation
Retrieve articles in all journals
© Copyright 1989
American Mathematical Society