On factor refinement in number fields
Authors: Johannes Buchmann and Friedrich Eisenbrand
Journal: Math. Comp. 68 (1999), 345-350
MSC (1991): Primary 11Y40, 11R27, 11R04, 11Y16
MathSciNet review: 1613766
Full-text PDF Free Access
Abstract: Let be an order of an algebraic number field. It was shown by Ge that given a factorization of an -ideal into a product of -ideals it is possible to compute in polynomial time an overorder of and a gcd-free refinement of the input factorization; i.e., a factorization of into a power product of -ideals such that the bases of that power product are all invertible and pairwise coprime and the extensions of the factors of the input factorization are products of the bases of the output factorization. In this paper we prove that the order is the smallest overorder of in which such a gcd-free refinement of the input factorization exists. We also introduce a partial ordering on the gcd-free factorizations and prove that the factorization which is computed by Ge's algorithm is the smallest gcd-free refinement of the input factorization with respect to this partial ordering.
- [BDS93] Eric Bach, James Driscoll, and Jeffrey Shallit, Factor refinement, J. Algorithms 15 (1993), no. 2, 199–222. MR 1231441, https://doi.org/10.1006/jagm.1993.1038
- [Ge93] Guoqiang Ge, Algorithms related to multiplicative representations of algebraic numbers, PhD thesis, U.C. Berkeley, 1993.
- [Ge94] Guoqiang Ge, Recognizing units in number fields, Math. Comp. 63 (1994), no. 207, 377–387. MR 1242057, https://doi.org/10.1090/S0025-5718-1994-1242057-X
- [ZS58] O. Zariski and P. Samuel, Commutative algebra, Van Nostrand, Princeton, 1958. MR 19:833e
- E. Bach, J. Driscoll, and J. Shallit, Factor refinement, J. Algorithms 15 (1993), 199-222. MR 94m:11148
- Guoqiang Ge, Algorithms related to multiplicative representations of algebraic numbers, PhD thesis, U.C. Berkeley, 1993.
- Guoqiang Ge, Recognizing units in number fields, Math. Comp. 63 (1994), 377-387. MR 94i:11107
- O. Zariski and P. Samuel, Commutative algebra, Van Nostrand, Princeton, 1958. MR 19:833e
Affiliation: Technische Hochschule Darmstadt, Alexanderstr. 10, D-64283 Darmstadt, Germany
Affiliation: Max-Planck-Institut für Informatik, Im Stadtwald, D-66123 Saarbrücken, Germany
Received by editor(s): November 21, 1996
Article copyright: © Copyright 1999 American Mathematical Society