On the coupling of BEM and FEM
for exterior problems
for the Helmholtz equation
Math. Comp. 68 (1999), 945-953
Primary 65N38, 65N30, 15A06
February 15, 1999
Full-text PDF Free Access
Similar Articles |
Abstract: This paper deals with the coupled procedure of the boundary element method (BEM) and the finite element method (FEM) for the exterior boundary value problems for the Helmholtz equation. A circle is selected as the common boundary on which the integral equation is set up with Fourier expansion. As a result, the exterior problems are transformed into nonlocal boundary value problems in a bounded domain which is treated with FEM, and the normal derivative of the unknown function at the common boundary does not appear. The solvability of the variational equation and the error estimate are also discussed.
Johnson and J.-Claude
Nédélec, On the coupling of boundary integral
and finite element methods, Math. Comp.
35 (1980), no. 152, 1063–1079. MR 583487
C. Hsiao, The coupling of BEM and FEM—a brief review,
Boundary elements X, Vol.\ 1 (Southampton, 1988) Comput. Mech.,
Southampton, 1988, pp. 431–445. MR 1057368
Feng Kang and Yu De-hao, Canonical integral equations of elliptic boundary value problems and their numerical solutions, in Proceedings of China-France Symposium on the Finite Element Method (1982, Beijing), Science Press, Beijing, 1983, pp.211-252.
A. Brebbia and G.
S. Gipson (eds.), Boundary elements. XIII, Computational
Mechanics Publications, Southampton; copublished with Elsevier Applied
Science, London, 1991. Papers from the Thirteenth International Conference
on Boundary Element Methods held in Tulsa, Oklahoma, August 1991. MR 1141161
B. Keller and Dan
Givoli, Exact nonreflecting boundary conditions, J. Comput.
Phys. 82 (1989), no. 1, 172–192. MR 1005207
K. Aziz and R.
Bruce Kellogg, Finite element analysis of a
scattering problem, Math. Comp.
37 (1981), no. 156, 261–272. MR 628694
M. Gel’fand and G.
E. Shilov, Generalized functions. Vol. I: Properties and
operations, Translated by Eugene Saletan, Academic Press, New
York-London, 1964. MR 0166596
A. Brebbia, and A.
H.-D. Cheng (eds.), Computational engineering with boundary
elements. Vol. 1, Computational Mechanics Publications, Southampton,
1990. Fluid and potential problems. MR 1150494
Ihlenburg and I.
Babuška, Finite element solution of the Helmholtz equation
with high wave number. I. The ℎ-version of the FEM, Comput.
Math. Appl. 30 (1995), no. 9, 9–37. MR 1353516
I. Goldstein, and E.
Turkel, On accuracy conditions for the numerical computation of
waves, J. Comput. Phys. 59 (1985), no. 3,
794614 (87b:65153), http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0021-9991(85)90119-6
- C. Johnson and J. C. Nedelec, On the coupling of boundary integral and finite element methods, Math. Comp., 35(1980), pp.1063- 1079. MR 82c:65072
- G. C. Hsiao, The coupling of BEM and FEM-a brief review, in Boundary Elements X, C. A. Brebbia et al., ed., Springer-Verlag, 1988, pp.431-445. MR 91c:65071
- Feng Kang and Yu De-hao, Canonical integral equations of elliptic boundary value problems and their numerical solutions, in Proceedings of China-France Symposium on the Finite Element Method (1982, Beijing), Science Press, Beijing, 1983, pp.211-252.
- Yu De-hao, A direct and natural coupling of BEM and FEM, in Boundary Elements XIII, C.A.Brebbia and G.S.Gipson ed., Computational Mechanics Publications, Southampton, 1991, pp.995-1004. MR 92h:65004
- J. B. Keller and D. Givoli, Exact non-reflecting boundary conditions, J.Comp. Phys., 82(1989), pp.172-192. MR 91a:76064
- A. K. Aziz and R. B. Kellogg, Finite element analysis of a scattering problem, Math. Comp., 37(1981), pp.261-272. MR 82i:65069
- I. M. Gelfand and G. E. Shilov, Generalized Functions, Vol. 1, Academic Press, New York, 1964. MR 29:3869
- V. J. Ervin, R. Kieser and W. L. Wendland, Numerical approximation of the solution for a model 2-D hypersingular integral equation, Universität Stuttgart, Math. Institut A, Bericht Nr.26, 1990; also in Computational Engineering with Boundary Elements, Vol. 1 (Proc. Fifth Internat. Conf., Newark, DE, 1990; S. Grilli et al., eds.), Comput. Mech. Publ., Southampton, 1990, pp. 85-99. MR 92i:65005
- F. Ihlenburg and I. Babu[??]ska, Finite element solution of the Helmholtz equation with high wave number - part I: The h-version of the FEM, Comp. Math. Appl., 30(1995), No.9, pp.9-37. MR 96j:65123
- A. Bayliss, C. I. Goldstein and E. Turkel, On accuracy conditions for the numerical computation of waves, J.Comp. Phys., 59(1985), pp.396-404. MR 87b:65153
Retrieve articles in Mathematics of Computation of the American Mathematical Society
with MSC (1991):
Retrieve articles in all journals
with MSC (1991):
Department of Mathematics, East China University of Science and Technology, Shanghai 200237, P.R.China
Received by editor(s):
November 21, 1996
Received by editor(s) in revised form:
April 10, 1997, and January 22, 1998
February 15, 1999
© Copyright 1999
American Mathematical Society