Decomposable compact convex sets and peak sets for function spaces.
Abstract: Geometric conditions are known under which a closed face of a compact convex set is a peak set with respect to the space of continuous affine (real-valued) functions. The purpose of this note is to give an application of this ``abstract-geometric'' set-up to the problem of finding peak sets (or points) in a compact Hausdorff space with respect to a closed subspace of continuous complex-valued functions. In this fashion we obtain the strong hull criteria of Curtis and Figá-Talamanca and in particular the Bishop peak point theorem for function algebras.
-  Leonard Asimow, Directed Banach spaces of affine functions, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 143 (1969), 117–132. MR 0247419, https://doi.org/10.1090/S0002-9947-1969-0247419-7
-  -, Extensions of continuous affine functions, (to appear).
-  Errett Bishop, A minimal boundary for function algebras, Pacific J. Math. 9 (1959), 629–642. MR 0109305
-  Philip C. Curtis Jr. and Alessandro Figà-Talamanca, Factorization theorems for Banach algebras, Function Algebras (Proc. Internat. Sympos. on Function Algebras, Tulane Univ., 1965) Scott-Foresman, Chicago, Ill., 1966, pp. 169–185. MR 0203500
-  Robert R. Phelps, Lectures on Choquet’s theorem, D. Van Nostrand Co., Inc., Princeton, N.J.-Toronto, Ont.-London, 1966. MR 0193470
- L. Asimow, Directed Banach spaces of affine functions, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 143 (1969), 117-132. MR 0247419 (40:685)
- -, Extensions of continuous affine functions, (to appear).
- E. Bishop, A minimal boundary for function algebras, Pacific J. Math. 9 (1959), 629-642. MR 22 #191. MR 0109305 (22:191)
- P. C. Curtis and A. Figá-Talamanca, Factorization theorems for Banach algebras, Proc. Internat. Sympos. Function Algebras (Tulane Univ. 1965), Scott-Foresman, Chicago, Ill., 1966, pp. 169-185. MR 34 #3350. MR 0203500 (34:3350)
- R. R. Phelps, Lectures on Choquet's theorem, Van Nostrand, Princeton, N. J., 1966. MR 33 #1690. MR 0193470 (33:1690)
Retrieve articles in Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society with MSC: 46.55
Retrieve articles in all journals with MSC: 46.55
Keywords: Compact convex sets, Functions spaces, affine functions, extreme points, functions algebras, peak sets, peak faces, strong hull
Article copyright: © Copyright 1970 American Mathematical Society