Operators whose ascent is 0 or
Authors: P. B. Ramanujan and S. M. Patel
Journal: Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 29 (1971), 557-560
MSC: Primary 47.10
Erratum: Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 34 (1972), 632.
MathSciNet review: 0278088
Full-text PDF Free Access
Abstract: An operator T on a Hilbert space H is said to be of ascent 0 or 1 if the null spaces of T and are equal. Let denote the collection of all operators on H which have ascent 0 or 1. The object of this note is to study some properties of operators in . The main results obtained are the following.
1. The direct sum of a collection of operators is in if and only if each of these operators is in .
2. If and T has finite descent, then the range of T is closed.
3. If and the range of T is not closed, then T is a commutator, that is, T is expressible in the form for some operators A and B on H.
4. The set of all operators in with descent 0 or 1 is closed in the norm topology of operators.
5. If , and T has finite descent and further is compact for some k, then T is a finite-dimensional operator.
-  Arlen Brown and Carl Pearcy, Structure of commutators of operators, Ann. of Math. (2) 82 (1965), 112–127. MR 0178354, https://doi.org/10.2307/1970564
-  Seymour Goldberg, Unbounded linear operators: Theory and applications, McGraw-Hill Book Co., New York-Toronto, Ont.-London, 1966. MR 0200692
-  P. B. Ramanujan, On operators of class (𝑁,𝑘), Proc. Cambridge Philos. Soc. 68 (1970), 141–142. MR 0261389
-  Angus E. Taylor, Introduction to functional analysis, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York; Chapman & Hall, Ltd., London, 1958. MR 0098966
-  Kenneth K. Warner, A note on a theorem of Weyl, Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 23 (1969), 469–471. MR 0250102, https://doi.org/10.1090/S0002-9939-1969-0250102-0
- A. Brown and C. Pearcy, Structure of commutators of operators, Ann. of Math. (2) 82 (1965), 112-127. MR 31 #2612. MR 0178354 (31:2612)
- S. Goldberg, Unbounded linear operators: Theory and applications, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1966. MR 34 #580. MR 0200692 (34:580)
- P. B. Ramanujan, On operators of class (N; k), Proc. Cambridge Philos. Soc. 68 (1970), 141-142. MR 0261389 (41:6004)
- A. E. Taylor, Introduction to functional analysis, Wiley, New York, 1958. MR 20 #5411. MR 0098966 (20:5411)
- K. K. Warner, A note on a theorem of Weyl, Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 23 (1969), 469-471. MR 40 #3343. MR 0250102 (40:3343)
Retrieve articles in Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society with MSC: 47.10
Retrieve articles in all journals with MSC: 47.10
Keywords: Ascent and descent of operators in Hilbert space, operators with ascent 0 or 1, direct sum of operators, compact and finite-dimensional operators
Article copyright: © Copyright 1971 American Mathematical Society