Finite groups acting on spheres
Abstract: This paper classifies smooth actions of a finite group G acting on a sphere of sufficiently high dimension with precisely two fixed points (and the action free elsewhere) by relating the group action to an element of the group's Whitehead group. Essentially, if that element is zero, the action corresponds to a free action on a sphere of dimension one less. If not, what we call the ``double'' of the action is. An example is constructed to show that the various cases can occur.
-  Hyman Bass and M. Pavaman Murthy, Grothendieck groups and Picard groups of abelian group rings, Ann. of Math. (2) 86 (1967), 16–73. MR 0219592, https://doi.org/10.2307/1970360
-  Sze-tsen Hu, Homotopy theory, Pure and Applied Mathematics, Vol. VIII, Academic Press, New York-London, 1959. MR 0106454
-  John Milnor, Groups which act on 𝑆ⁿ without fixed points, Amer. J. Math. 79 (1957), 623–630. MR 0090056, https://doi.org/10.2307/2372566
-  J. Milnor, Whitehead torsion, Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 72 (1966), 358–426. MR 0196736, https://doi.org/10.1090/S0002-9904-1966-11484-2
-  Deane Montgomery and Leo Zippin, Topological transformation groups, Interscience Publishers, New York-London, 1955. MR 0073104
-  H. Zassenhaus, Über endliche Fastkorper, Abh. Math. Sem. Univ. Hamburg 11 (1936), 187-220.
- H. Bass and M. Murthy, Grothendieck groups and Picard groups of abelian group rings, Ann. of Math. (2) 86 (1967), 16-73. MR 36 #2671. MR 0219592 (36:2671)
- S. T. Hu, Homotopy theory, Pure and Appl. Math., vol. 8, Academic Press, New York, 1959. MR 21 #5186. MR 0106454 (21:5186)
- J. W. Milnor, Groups which act on without fixed points, Amer. J. Math. 79 (1957), 623-630. MR 19, 761. MR 0090056 (19:761d)
- -, Whitehead torsion, Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 72 (1966), 358-426. MR 33 #4922. MR 0196736 (33:4922)
- D. Montgomery and L. Zippin, Topological transformation groups, Interscience, New York, 1955. MR 17, 383. MR 0073104 (17:383b)
- H. Zassenhaus, Über endliche Fastkorper, Abh. Math. Sem. Univ. Hamburg 11 (1936), 187-220.
Retrieve articles in Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society with MSC: 57.47
Retrieve articles in all journals with MSC: 57.47
Keywords: Group acting smoothly on , h-cobordism, Whitehead torsion, Stalling's Theorem
Article copyright: © Copyright 1972 American Mathematical Society