Adjoint functors induced by adjoint linear transformations
Author: Paul H. Palmquist
Journal: Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 44 (1974), 251-254
MSC: Primary 46M15; Secondary 18A40
MathSciNet review: 0346548
Full-text PDF Free Access
Abstract: Adjoint linear transformations between Hilbert spaces or, more generally, between dual systems of topological vector spaces induce contravariant functors which are adjoint on the right--essentially a Galois connection between the posets of subsets (or subspaces) of the spaces. Modulo scalars the passage from linear maps to functors is one-to-one; indeed, modulo scalars, two linear transformations are adjoint (hence both are weak continuous) if and only if the induced functors are adjoint.
-  Peter Freyd, Abelian categories. An introduction to the theory of functors, Harper’s Series in Modern Mathematics, Harper & Row, Publishers, New York, 1964. MR 0166240
-  P. Halmos, Introduction to Hilbert spaces, 2nd ed., Chelsea, New York, 1957.
-  Reports of the Midwest Category Seminar. IV, Edited by S. MacLane. Lecture Notes in Mathematics, Vol. 137, Springer-Verlag, Berlin-New York, 1970. MR 0263888
-  Saunders MacLane, Categories for the working mathematician, Springer-Verlag, New York-Berlin, 1971. Graduate Texts in Mathematics, Vol. 5. MR 0354798
-  Helmut H. Schaefer, Topological vector spaces, The Macmillan Co., New York; Collier-Macmillan Ltd., London, 1966. MR 0193469
- P. Freyd, Abelian categories: An introduction to the theory of functors, Harper and Row, New York, 1964. MR 0166240 (29:3517)
- P. Halmos, Introduction to Hilbert spaces, 2nd ed., Chelsea, New York, 1957.
- S. Mac Lane, The influence of M. H. Stone on the origins of category theory, Conference on Functional Analysis and Related Fields, F. E. Browder, Ed., Springer, New York, 1970. MR 0263888 (41:8487)
- -, Categories for the working mathematician, Springer, New York, 1971. MR 0354798 (50:7275)
- H. H. Schaefer, Topological vector spaces, Macmillan, New York, 1966. MR 33 #1689. MR 0193469 (33:1689)
Keywords: Adjoint, adjoint linear operators, adjoint functors, adjoint on the right, Galois connection, Hilbert space, poset, topological vector space, dual system
Article copyright: © Copyright 1974 American Mathematical Society