A fixed-point theorem for certain operator valued maps
Authors: D. R. Brown and M. J. O’Malley
Journal: Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 74 (1979), 254-258
MSC: Primary 47H10
MathSciNet review: 524296
Full-text PDF Free Access
Abstract: Let H be a real Hilbert space, and let denote the space of symmetric, bounded operators on H which have numerical range in [0, 1], topologized by the strong operator topology, and let L be a strongly continuous function on H into . In this paper, methods are given to locate all which are fixed points of L in the sense that .
In particular, if and if and are fixed positive rational numbers with , a decreasing sequence of elements of is recursively defined, and converges to . If , then Q is idempotent and is a fixed point of L, and if , then is a fixed point of L.
-  John L. Kelley, General topology, D. Van Nostrand Company, Inc., Toronto-New York-London, 1955. MR 0070144
-  J. W. Neuberger, Projection methods for linear and nonlinear systems of partial differential equations, Ordinary and partial differential equations (Proc. Fourth Conf., Univ. Dundee, Dundee, 1976) Springer, Berlin, 1976, pp. 341–349. Lecture Notes in Math., Vol. 564. MR 0601044
-  Martin Schechter, Principles of functional analysis, Academic Press, New York-London, 1971. MR 0445263
- John L. Kelley, General topology, Van Nostrand, Princeton, N. J., 1955. MR 0070144 (16:1136c)
- John Neuberger, Projection methods for linear and nonlinear systems of partial differential equations, Lecture Notes in Math., Springer, Berlin (to appear). MR 0601044 (58:29129)
- Martin Schechter, Principles of functional analysis, Academic Press, New York, 1971. MR 0445263 (56:3607)
Retrieve articles in Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society with MSC: 47H10
Retrieve articles in all journals with MSC: 47H10