An abstract Borel density theorem
Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 78 (1980), 19-22
Full-text PDF Free Access
Similar Articles |
Abstract: In this paper an abstract form of the Borel density theorem and related results is given centering around the notion of the author's of a (finite dimensional) ``admissible'' representation. A representation is strongly admissible if each is admissible. Although this notion is somewhat technical it is satisfied for certain pairs ; e.g., if G is minimally almost periodic and arbitrary, if G is complex analytic and holomorphic. If G is real analytic with radical R, has no compact factors and R acts under with real eigenvalues, then is strongly admissible. If in addition G is algebraic/R, then each R-rational representation is admissible. The results are proven in three stages where V is defined either over R or C.
If is a strongly admissible representation of G on V, then each G-invariant measure on , the Grassmann space of V, has support contained in the G-fixed point set.
If is a strongly admissible representation of G on V and has finite volume, then each H-invariant subspace of V is G-invariant.
If G is an algebraic subgroup of and each rational representation is admissible, then H is Zariski dense in G.
Borel, Density properties for certain subgroups of semi-simple
groups without compact components, Ann. of Math. (2)
72 (1960), 179–188. MR 0123639
Borel, Linear algebraic groups, Notes taken by Hyman Bass, W.
A. Benjamin, Inc., New York-Amsterdam, 1969. MR 0251042
Furstenberg, A note on Borel’s density
theorem, Proc. Amer. Math. Soc.
55 (1976), no. 1,
209–212. MR 0422497
(54 #10484), http://dx.doi.org/10.1090/S0002-9939-1976-0422497-X
Moskowitz, On the density theorems of Borel and Furstenberg,
Ark. Mat. 16 (1978), no. 1, 11–27. MR 0507233
P. Wang, Homogeneous spaces with finite invariant measure,
Amer. J. Math. 98 (1976), no. 2, 311–324. MR 0447477
P. Wang, On density properties of 𝑆-subgroups of locally
compact groups, Ann. of Math. (2) 94 (1971),
325–329. MR 0291351
- A. Borel, Density properties for certain subgroups of semisimple groups without compact components, Ann. of Math. 72 (1960), 179-188. MR 0123639 (23:A964)
- -, Linear algebraic groups, Benjamin, New York, 1969. MR 0251042 (40:4273)
- H. Furstenberg, A note on Borel's density theorem, Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 55 (1976), 209-212. MR 0422497 (54:10484)
- M. Moskowitz, On the density theorems of Borel and Furstenberg, Ark. Mat. (1) 16 (1978), 11-27. MR 0507233 (58:22393)
- S. P. Wang, Homogeneous spaces with finite invariant volume, Amer. J. Math. 98 (1976), 311-324. MR 0447477 (56:5789)
- -, On density properties of S-subgroups of locally compact groups, Ann. of Math. 94 (1971), 325-329. MR 0291351 (45:444)
Retrieve articles in Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society
Retrieve articles in all journals
Algebraic linear group,
complex analytic group,
homogeneous space of finite volume,
support of a finite G-invariant measure,
G-fixed point set,
© Copyright 1980
American Mathematical Society